Does anyone else have spelling/grammar pet peeves?

Shadowcat

Mommy of 3
Reaction score
I'm not claiming to be an expert and I make my share of mistakes, but blatant spelling and grammar errors just irk me.

For instance, I ADORE this forum, but every time I visit the first page, the article comes up that says "Cat's and Pregnancy" - the word "Cats" does not require an apostrophe. Drives me insane! :wacko:

I know, I know - I'm crazy. :shy:

Is it just me?

No, it's not just you. I have too many grammar/spelling peeves to mention but these are the main ones:-

you're/your
too/to
it's/its
their/there
the most stupidest - you don't need to put "most" in, aaaargh.

I can't stand it when these get confused, could go on but I'll look like a boring cow so I'll stop :haha:

LOL!

Things only annoy me when there is no punctuation(mostly as I cant understand it at all and give up) , I cant spell (i am dyslexic) and despite having B grade GCSE (a long time ago) I am sure a lot of things now escape my mind, plus I do tend to do the your rather than you're ... sorry.

I do have pet hates though, things like ouse instead of house really annoy me and a don't know why by "My friend learned me to drive" rather than taught always annoys me.

But I am far from perfect in my literacy skills.

Those are all good ones.

I'll add "loose weight" vs. "lose weight" to that list as well. :thumbup:

Those are all good ones.

I'll add "loose weight" vs. "lose weight" to that list as well. :thumbup:

what is odd for me, is when I read someone elses post I could pick out loads of spelling mistakes and wrong use of words, but in my own its like I have brain block.

Bought and Brought!
Did you buy something? Then it was bought (no R in buy)
Did you bring something with you? Then you brought it. (there is an R in bring!!)

I'm not claiming to be an expert and I make my share of mistakes, but blatant spelling and grammar errors just irk me.

For instance, I ADORE this forum, but every time I visit the first page, the article comes up that says "Cat's and Pregnancy" - the word "Cats" does not require an apostrophe. Drives me insane! :wacko:I know, I know - I'm crazy. :shy:

Is it just me?

I think you should send it as an example to The Apostrophe Protection Society :winkwink:

'discusting' and when some English people add R to words :wacko:

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. As long as it is readable. Its a forum, not a English test.

My only peev is when people point out a spelling mistake for no other reason then to just bring it to everyons attention.
I was reading a thread the other day and just because no one was agreeing with this person they resorted to pointing out a spelling mistake, somthing that had nothing to do with the subject.
I know I have awfull spelling, its a result of teachers that couldnt care less so I dont need it pointing out.
As for punctuation I was actualy never taught it at school plus I have to go into three seperate screens on my phone to get them and fat fingers dont help when trying to type on this phone so I often dont realise I have hit the wrong key

I must admit in real life writing i am really pro grammer and punctuation. But a lot of the time I type 1 handed as im nursing so my typing grammer and punctuation is pretty lazy. I do let a lot of typos on a forum go as so many ppl are in the same boat or are using phones to type.

At times it does annoy me tho, mostly for really random things.

The two that jump out are advocate - when someone meant abdicate, and even after several people had typed the correct word the wrong person wrote advocate again.

And the other one was log aheads - when they meant loggerheads.

Silly things bug me lol

My only peev is when people point out a spelling mistake for no other reason then to just bring it to everyons attention.

I agree, that's just rude. There's no need for it :dohh:

No not something as simple as that or maybe even typos, you expect it on forums when people are not using a spellcheck or maybe typing very fast as I do.
My peeve is when someone speaks in text language, like they do on Twitter - when U is used instead of you!

I must admit in real life writing i am really pro grammer and punctuation. But a lot of the time I type 1 handed as im nursing so my typing grammer and punctuation is pretty lazy. I do let a lot of typos on a forum go as so many ppl are in the same boat or are using phones to type.

At times it does annoy me tho, mostly for really random things.

The two that jump out are advocate - when someone meant abdicate, and even after several people had typed the correct word the wrong person wrote advocate again.

And the other one was log aheads - when they meant loggerheads.

Silly things bug me lol

I think you mean wrong people, there where several of us spelling it wrong but that thread is an example of what I mean.
If a spelling error is bugging someone so much have the decency to pm them if you realy feel the need to correct rather then pointing it out in front of everyone (i know it wasnt you that pointed it out)

It doesn't bother me on the forum as a lot of people like to write the way they speak on here and that's fine. But it totally bothers me at work! I'm an office team leader and one of my jobs is to check letters. The ones that really get me are:

Been instead of being
Your instead of you're
Their and there
Effect vs affect
Of instead of have

I could go on...

Bought and Brought!
Did you buy something? Then it was bought (no R in buy)
Did you bring something with you? Then you brought it. (there is an R in bring!!)

Aaaah!!!!!! This REALLY annoys me too!!!!

I see it so much on here, and there's a girl in work who always says it! I feel like just correcting her but it seems wrong so when she says I brought something. "I have been known to say oh yeah! I BOUGHT that too!!"..... Just slip it in haha!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->