Does anyone else have spelling/grammar pet peeves?

I work as a nurse, and one girl at work constantly writes things such as 'Pt had a gud nite'.
She has been to university and gained a degree in nursing, yet she is totally unable to spell basic words on a LEGAL document!!

I find living in Wales that a lot of people with a Welsh language/education back ground struggle to spell well in English as the Welsh language is phonetic.

For example, in Welsh one f is pronounced as a v and ff is pronounced as an f. Which mean that you see english words like forum spelt fforum, or crafft.

I don't find that annoying but it has made us think about whether Tom will be getting a Welsh or English education!

My only peev is when people point out a spelling mistake for no other reason then to just bring it to everyons attention.

Is that a dig at me for starting this thread? :winkwink:

I don't have a problem with individual posts for the most part. I understand that it's a forum and that people may be typing quickly, one handed, etc. It mostly bugs me when I find errors in professional emails, signs, menus, business cards...anywhere where someone should have double checked but didn't. I'd never make fun of someone's spelling or grammar on a forum post, because that is just unnecessary.

My only peev is when people point out a spelling mistake for no other reason then to just bring it to everyons attention.

Is that a dig at me for starting this thread? :winkwink:

I don't have a problem with individual posts for the most part. I understand that it's a forum and that people may be typing quickly, one handed, etc. It mostly bugs me when I find errors in professional emails, signs, menus, business cards...anywhere where someone should have double checked but didn't. I'd never make fun of someone's spelling or grammar on a forum post, because that is just unnecessary.

If you read the rest of my post you would see it wasnt and the point I was making :)

I work as a nurse, and one girl at work constantly writes things such as 'Pt had a gud nite'.
She has been to university and gained a degree in nursing, yet she is totally unable to spell basic words on a LEGAL document!!

lol we have a nurse who writes notes like theyre her diary or something :dohh:

'jimmy really enjoyed his mince and tatties at lunch and i gave him a shave which he also enjoyed and is looking forward to visiting times to see his wife' :shrug:

Nope must say it doesn't bother me at all !!!

Maybe it's because i'm crap at spelling and most of the time I don't even notice

I agree with midnight fairy and mandy81 and also smokey. :thumbup:

If English isn't a person's first language, then it doesn't bother me so much. However, if a native, supposedly educated English speaker makes such basic errors, it irritates me.

They're, there, their confusion.
It's and its confusion.
A lot written as 'alot'.
Should have written as 'should of'.
Brought and bought confusion.
'Supposively' instead of supposedly. 'Supposively' is not a word.
Adding an r to the end of a word that does not end with an r (this only applies to people from England).

The English language is really hard when you think about it!

Oh meeeee! I am such a grammar nerd!
https://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2854/idgafa.gif

im dyslexic and really struggle with my grammar and spellings :(. but i can see why it can be annoying x

yeah mainly the bought/brought thing but I also hate it when people add an 'R' to can't & turn it into carnt :dohh: or loads of extra E's at the end of words like loveeeeeeeeee

I understand shortening words for txt speak etc... but can't get my head around why they would ADD letters?? :shrug:

...Oh and i've just thought of another that makes me mad :rofl: when people mix upper & lower case letter randomly in words lIkE ThiS - I mean WTF is the point of that??? :confused:

Text speak or total lack of punctuation bug me more than spelling or grammar mistakes do - mainly because I frequently can't understand what the poster is trying to say and eventually, I give up (in some annoyance, to be honest, because it doesn't take that much effort to make a post quasi-literate, which I think is more universally inclusive of other forum members). I don't expect perfect writing on a forum like this, but I should be able to make some sense of it, if you know what I mean?
If the writing has anything to do with anything even semi-professional, however, it most certainly should be checked and double-checked for errors. It's about clear communication and having respect for your own voice as well as your audience.
That's my take on it, anyway.

I have a pet peeve with people who say "u" instead of "you", especially when they want something from me. If I'm unworthy of the extra effort of typing 2 letters, yeah well... When you're close and you're typing on a mobile, okay, but when you request a free drawing from me, you better show some respect.
Also people who think it's "cool" or something (why?) to use "z" instead of "s" and "x" instead of "ks" or "cs". I never got what's so fascinating about the last 3 letters of the alphabet.

i dont really mind it in text form even though i dont always understand the abbreviations. i have to admit though i am a bad typer and often put a wrong letter in, not because i cant spell but because i cant type so i know i make mistakes. what does bug me though is when people speak it, i.e
saying bover instead of bother
innit instead of isnt it etc.
i live in the north east and as geordies often speak slang i appreciate that thats how people can speak but sometimes its annoying. eeeh a nah for instance is eeh i know.

im dyslexic and really struggle with my grammar and spellings :(. but i can see why it can be annoying x

Do you find that some mistakes and lack of punctuation make it hardrer to understand? I know a lot of people cant spell, and in which cases its spelt phonetically which I can understand, but lack of punctuation, my head just cant get around where the sentence starts or finishes.

I think dyslexia is a misconceived concept, dyslexia does not mean your stupid, in fact most of us have higher than average IQs, just certain aspects are difficult for us, because we dont see thing the same way so have to teach ourselves differently. I have A levels is psychology, physics, chemistry, and biology, a foundation degree in health studies and a degree in nursing. I can write essays with perfect English language skills but it takes me a lot of proof reading to get there, whereas on a forum I will not proof read several times, sometimes never. :blush:

I have way too many peeves to list lol.

I'm not brilliant by any means but things like people saying 'compared to'. It's compared with, similar to and different from! OH always annoys me when he says that x company made a loss. No, they suffered as loss and making it suggests that the company actually wanted to loose money!!!

I have way too many peeves to list lol.

I'm not brilliant by any means but things like people saying 'compared to'. It's compared with, similar to and different from! OH always annoys me when he says that x company made a loss. No, they suffered as loss and making it suggests that the company actually wanted to loose money!!!

But made a loss makes sense, wanting to loose it doesnt come into it, I didnt want to make a mess but I made one :)

my spelling and grammer is horrendous so i wouldnt even notice anything wrong to have a problem with lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->