• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does anyone have an estimated date for when baby will come home?

hello_kitty

Reaction score
Hi guys! I know this is a stressful time for all the moms on here. We all have different stories and some has it easier than others. I wanted to create this thread so we can all share our stories and our baby's achievements. If you have an estimated date of when your little miracle will get discharge, I can create a countdown. It would be nice to come on here once in awhile and see the number going down. I will share my story first.

My expected due date was 12/29. On 11/02 I started having contractions. I thought it was just braxton hicks until they became stronger and were 10 minutes apart. My husband took me to labor and delivery and the doctor confirmed that I was 2-3cm dilated. They started putting maximum dose of magnesium through the iv hoping to stop the contractions. A few hours later, my doctor made arrangements to transfer me to another hospital with a nicu. Later that afternoon, another doctor came in and examined my cervix and said it was 3cm dilated. For the rest of the day, I pretty much stayed in bed and could barely eat or walk. I was too drugged up. The next day, another doctor came in and said I was 4 cm dilated and 100% effaced. The next morning, they lowered the magnesium since my contractions were better. Around 7pm on 11/03, I started having strong contractions again. My contractions were so strong at 1 am the next morning that the nurse came in and woke me up and asked if I felt them. I did, but was so tired so I slept through them. She called the doctor, and by that time my cervix was 6 cm dilated. They increased the magnesium again, but it was too late. Less than 10 minutes later, I had very bad contractions that was very close together. The doctor checked my cervix and it was 8 cm dilated. The nurses wheeled my bed to the operating room that was right next to the nicu. I had a vaginal delivery. I was very scared. After 29 minutes of pushing, my beautiful boy was born. Tears ran down my husband's face as soon as we heard the baby's cry. The doctor showed me the baby briefly before handing him over to the nicu nurses. My husband was able to follow them but I was wheeled back to my room. After about an hour of recovery, I was finally able to see my son. They said his apgar score was excellent for a preemie. He scored a 9.9 and was breathing on his own, thanks to the 2 steroid injections that I got. He's been in the nicu for 2 weeks now and has been doing excellent. He is 34 weeks 1 day today, and has started bottle feeding 2 days ago. So far, he is able to take 12 ml from the bottle. Before we was born, the doctor said he will probably stay in the nicu for 4 weeks, but since he is doing so well, the doctor said he will probably be ready to go home in 7-8 days or 11-12 days depending on how his feedings go. I have been thrilled! I set my calendar for 12/02/12, exactly 4 weeks since he was born, but anything before that will be icing on a cake!

Sorry for the long story. I look forward to reading some of yours.

Mine was a very long story but he was born very sick at 32 weeks we were told after we knew he would live to aim for his due date for going home anything before is a bonus! He came home at 36 weeks so a month in hospital! x

Mine was a very long story but he was born very sick at 32 weeks we were told after we knew he would live to aim for his due date for going home anything before is a bonus! He came home at 36 weeks so a month in hospital! x

Mine was also born at 32 weeks. So far he's healthy. He had a few apnea spells the first few days but now he's growing out of them. Now he just needs to work on his feedings before coming home. This is his last milestone since he has reached the other requirements. It feels like its dragging. I know this is kind of mean and selfish but when I see him on a bottle in the back of my head I'm like "drink baby, drink!" I was seriously hoping he would be home in a week but now I'm looking at 2 weeks, so he'll be around 36 weeks when he comes home.

My daughter was born at 29 weeks. We were told 6-8 weeks in the hospital and she was in there for 8 weeks and 6 days. She had trouble feeding so was in there a little longer. That was the only thing that held her back for a few weeks.

The main thing is feeding! They wont let the baby go home unless they are feeding really well because you'll end up back in on a childrens ward! My first son was born at 36 weeks and spent 10 days in scbu a week of those days were just trying to get him to feed, even then he came home with a nasal tube and had it for a month! My second son was breast feed and he was like a little bird i had no problems feeding him at all! So every baby is different! x

Yupe, feeding seems to be the biggest problem. Strange thing is, I was in to visit him today and he was sucking like a pro at the breast. He was probably sucking for 30 minutes. My nipple eventually slipped out of his mouth and he was too asleep to latch on again. I saw his bottle right in front of me and asked the nurse if I can try feeding him with the bottle but she said no and that he was too tired. Well she stepped out for a bit and I sneaked him his bottle and he sucked and sucked. I had to pull it out of his mouth while he was still sucking because the nurse came back in and she looked pissed. She gave me a lecture on how they are only able to feed for 30 minutes, any more than that they will get too tired and burn calories. I know that its best for him to stay in the nicu until he learns everything that he needs to before coming home, but sometimes I just feel like he's never coming home. Everytime I ask how he'd doing with the bottle they say he is not making much progress, but I swear I see him sucking away when I'm there.

Yupe, feeding seems to be the biggest problem. Strange thing is, I was in to visit him today and he was sucking like a pro at the breast. He was probably sucking for 30 minutes. My nipple eventually slipped out of his mouth and he was too asleep to latch on again. I saw his bottle right in front of me and asked the nurse if I can try feeding him with the bottle but she said no and that he was too tired. Well she stepped out for a bit and I sneaked him his bottle and he sucked and sucked. I had to pull it out of his mouth while he was still sucking because the nurse came back in and she looked pissed. She gave me a lecture on how they are only able to feed for 30 minutes, any more than that they will get too tired and burn calories. I know that its best for him to stay in the nicu until he learns everything that he needs to before coming home, but sometimes I just feel like he's never coming home. Everytime I ask how he'd doing with the bottle they say he is not making much progress, but I swear I see him sucking away when I'm there.

I felt like my daughter was never going to come home too. I know it's hard, but it will happen when he is ready.

Nurses don't seem very good when it comes to bottle feeding. The nurses in the special care nursery where my daughter was would give up so fast and just tube feed her. I would get her to take every bottle and then go home and they would tube feed. :growlmad: It took my daughter almost 5 weeks to learn how to take all feeds by bottle, but she eventually did it once I stayed at the hospital for a week with her.

When I came in today, the nurse showed me his report that documented how much feeding from the bottle he was taking. I was quite surprised when she said he took the whole bottle for her later this morning and also at 3 am the same morning. She said on average he was finishing either half of his feeds by bottle or all of it. She gave me a bottle to let me try and he only took 10 of the 43 cc. I seriously dont understand why he never takes much when I feed him and the nurse said it was because I wasnt being aggressive enough. She said they are one step away from force feeding him with a bottle. I just want him home so bad (of course only if everything ABSOLUTELY goes well). It always takes us 40 minutes to drive there and 2 hours to drive back because of all the traffic. The weather is horrible with all the heavy rain and quite honestly, I just want him home so I can cuddle with him instead of traveling back and forth in this weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->