Does epidural automatically mean back pain forever?

I've had two epidurals and no back pain. I have a lot of friends who have had epidurals and can't think of any complaining of back pain.

I was told by doctors that when your pregnant your body has to adjust itself to carry the extra weight, causing stress on your spine, then after baby is born you start standing and walking differently as a large amount of weight disappears in one go, and this can affect you with back pain etc. People who have had a natural delivery who suffer this just put it down to back pain, whereas those who had an epidural often tend to think that it may have been caused by the epidural.

I agree with previous posts, it probably has more to do with lifting LO, leaning over baths etc. I had a natural drug free birth with my LO and I still had terrible back ache for a while after the birth due to lifting LO. My back is completely fine now! If you're worried go and speak to your GP.

I had an epi with my first and had mild back ache for a week or so around the site of the epi. With my second totally natural no back ache with expection to coccyx pain from his fat head hitting it :haha: third I had an epi not that it had chance to work and had horrendous back ache for 3/4 weeks. It most likely coincidental and the 2 I had epis for I gave birth on my left side the one I didn't I was on all fours I also had longer labours witht he 2 I had back ache after. It's probably a mix of epi, birthing positions, length of labour and raging hormones

I had a spinal block with my section and the muppet who inserted it had to do it 3 times and the second time he inserted it i had a hot shooting pain go from the insertion site to my left hip. I get shooting pains going from my back diagonally left down to my pelvis and its nasty. Feels to me more like nerve damage and that he hit something he shouldnt have hit.

I had back problems before so can't really comment if the epidural caused problems.
I'm fairly certain it didn't though. My epidural worked fantastic:thumbup:

This is really interesting. I have a very odd back pain that appeared about a week post partum, and has slowly faded and is still slightly there at 6 months pp. After seeing this thread I realized it's exactly in the spot I got my epidural. Who knows, but I never thought to connect the two before. It's like a knot behind my spine, and I feel it the most when I arch my back (like if I lay on my stomach and prop myself up on my arms).

ETA: I also had problems with my epidural, it only worked on one side, I had natural childbirth on the other side. lol

I had a spinal and no back pain are all. I do get aches and pains all over though and have had since I had my son ( I had no epi with him). Having a baby is really hard on your back. Bending down, pushing buggies, changing nappies, carrying baby, not drinking enough, lugging equipment in and out of the car/bus... It goes on! Causes me loads of aches! Might all that be causing your friends problems?

I had an epidural and I don't have any back pain. My experience with the epidural was fantastic except it started failing on my left side. Freaked me out. I did NOT want to feel a baby coming out. Good thing too, because she was 9lbs,5 oz and tore me from one hole to the other :p. The pump had stopped working, and they fixed it. I would recommend to anyone without hesitation.

I had an epidural the last two hours of my labor and although I had back pain for about two weeks after I gave birth I have ZERO now. I'd recommend the epidural as well, made everything so much easier!

Even if my back pain is from the epi, I'd still recommend it to anyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->