Does epidural automatically mean back pain forever?

No back pain here either. I did, however, have a nasty headache for the first three days pp.

I had one, and I have back pain. BUT the first one slipped so I had another put in so essentially had two.
I talked to my OB, she said it's because of the needles going through ligaments and refferred me to physiotherapy

Its probably from breastfeeding in my case because I do feel slouched over a lot especially in the middle of the night when I cant be assed to get my nursing pillow/sit in a chair

Epidural and no back pain here. I agree with pp that relaxin (which causes the symptoms of SPD) could be the cause? That or carry a baby around all the time! Hope it gets better soon.

You're still only ~5 weeks postpartum. I would talk to the doctor, but keep in mind that it's normal to not feel, well... normal for a while after giving birth. I also had an epi and no back pain here. I also agree with pp that it could still be from pregnancy hormones. They're going to run rampant for a while. I didn't feel physically anywhere near normal for about 4mo after giving birth, and I can still tell in my hips that my joints are still a little too loose. 9 months on, 9 months off doesn't just refer to the weight. :flower:

I had an epidural that went well, maybe even too well bc I felt nothing and had trouble pushing effectively! I did have back pain in the epidural needle area pp actually, but I only feel this when I bend over too long to change lo's diaper, otherwise no pain. I avoid bending this way and it's gotten a lot better. I also wonder if it's the epidural or if it's just from the pregnancy itself bc my lower spine would hurt sometimes in the middle of the night during third tri if I slept a certain way. Only time will tell I guess! Makes me wonder what would happen if I get another epidural for my second baby in the future..

Try not to strain or take note of what motions cause the pain and avoid them to see if it gets better?

Its probably from breastfeeding in my case because I do feel slouched over a lot especially in the middle of the night when I cant be assed to get my nursing pillow/sit in a chair

This is one thing I highly recommend fixing if you can, because it will KILL ur back, I had to change my habit so I got out of bed, and in to a chair (doesn't work well if ur co-sleeping).. if ur co sleeping work on effecting laying down and nursing.

I didn't want an epidural, but I was hurting so bad from having back to back contractions that I asked for one - well it went all wrong!!! It didn't work at all and the pain got worse actually!!! It started hurting so bad I was screaming so it actually caused my pain to get a whole lot worse! After I had him my back was so sore I could barely move! I struggled for months afterwards and I suffer with back pain every day - If I sit in the floor or vehicle for too long I ache so bad I could cry, If I stand too long I hurt so bad I have to sit! it is a never ending cycle of pain. If I bend over to the floor I hurt. LO weighs 23 pounds and it kills me to carry him around. I suffer every single day and the loritabs I was given for after birth do not even hit the pain. You people are so lucky!!!

I am 11 months PP

I've had 3 and no back pain either. 1 for knee surgery and 2 during labour because one failed. Both of those he tried 6 times to get it in and right so not a great experience either but definitely no pain

My back hurts from carrying a 21lb 6 month old!!

I went natural and still suffer back pain so it could just be labour? I can't sleep on my front any more because my back will hurt up much it wakes me up :-(

I had a back to back labour, lo rubbed on my spine for 14 hours, when my back hurts in my sleep I often dream I'm in labour!

I had an epidural and a spinal block (as I had to go to theatre for retained placenta and epidural wasn't strong enough for it as it had just been a top-up one). I didn't have any back pain after until about nine days later - I then had a really bad back for about five weeks but I really think this was due to the trauma of having the consultant try twice to remove the retained placenta before they finally took me to theatre (also traumatic for body, but at least I couldn't feel the pain!). With my back, it did get better of its own accord but I saw the doctor and she said the worst thing I could do would be to rest it and to keep moving around and stuff. She gave me diclofenac which I believe is an NSAID (non-steroidal inflammatory) - I was breastfeeding but this is the same as what they gave me straight afterwards and Eleanor didn't suffer any ill-effects as far as I know. Hope you feel better very soon - I found having a really painful back and being up half the night really depressing (the latter wouldn't have been as bad if I hadn't been in so much pain!).

I have back pain, but I did for many years before DS was born and now I have a 10kg baby to carry around! The epidural had nothing to do with it.

I have a sore back all the time now, but i blame it on my babies being so big! My belly was weighing me down when i was pregnant with emily and my back ached terribly, it didnt get much better afterwards but i dont blame the epidural at all xx

I have a bad back now from the epidural, right at the top of my bum, if I sit wrong I can still feel it, I had a failed epi and had to get two, I have a friend who suffers the same and her little boy is 2 now.

It's extremely rare for an epidural itself to cause back pain. Pain from the epidural is usually nerve damage, and it's very unlikely that you, your mum and your cousin all have nerve damage from an epidural.

Pregnancy puts your body through a huge series of changes so you can carry the baby, and then suddenly the baby disappears, and your body has to go back to normal.

It's often difficult especially when you are carrying a LO around all the time.

I had two epidurals (I accidentally pulled the line out of the first one) and no back pain. I did have pelvic pain for a while, but funnily enough it disappeared when I went back to ballet (which is great for posture).

I'd ask for physio or go to see an osteopath, it's likely that your just a little out of alignment after the birth. Yoga/pilates are also supposed to help.

x

I had severe back pain after my first baby.I didn't have an epidural but I did labour on my back. I totally blame that. It was such a stupid idea to labour laid on my back!!!

Second time, no back pain after and I had a water birth on all fours :)

Again I had an epi and didn't have any lasting effects....I know lots of Mum's who have had epi's and don't personally know of any with any lasting issues. I do need to sort out my posture too when bf or I may start to get backache, especially as I have a co-sleeping cot. LO has a tendency to nurse for half hour and use my boob as a pacifier if we nurse laying facing eachother. With me sitting up supporting her she chomps quickly and is done in 10 mins so in middle of night this is favourable!

I think the back pains your experiencing could just be cause you gave birth not long ago, I had horrendous back pains after I gave birth and bending to change LO, pick him up or breast feed just made things worse, I did have the epidural though and my labour was quite a long one too but the pains definitely went away and now 14 months on I have no problems with my back :)

https://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-back-pain-how-to-get-relief_1152191.bc

I had back pain after Logan was born and still suffer with it from time to time...
For a couple of months after labour it was just in one place, just to the left of my spine....
I didnt have an epidural to blame it on, but if i had of had one then maybe i would've blamed it? :shrug:

I had an epidural, mine went wrong on the way in and didn't work on one half of my body and I still had no back pain other than the day to day lifting and leaning aches that come with having babies lol. I'd definitely speak to a doctor, I doubt that it's a result of having an epidural x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->