Does epidural automatically mean back pain forever?

F0xybabe

Reaction score
My mommy-friends have always complained about their back pain and blamed it on their epidurals. Granted, they had bad experiences. For one friend, the epidural didn't even work and she ended up doing everything natural, for another friend the needle got stuck on the way out. It was one of the factors that made me want to have a natural birth, just because of all that can go wrong with an epidural.

But I ended up getting one anyway. It went splendid. I didn't feel a thing the whole time and the anaesthesiologist knew exactly what he was doing. I was sure that I was in the clear for back pain!

Except not. I have so much back pain, at first it was mild, but it seems to be getting worse and worse. What could be the cause of this? I probably don't drink enough water, but it doesnt feel like that kind of back pain. Its unlike any I've had before which is what leads me to believe its from the epidural. Not to mention it's around the same area.

Anyone else experience back pain, and did you get an epidural, and how did it go?

I had an epidural and have had no back pain whatsoever, nor do I know of anyone who has, though I do realise it is possible. It actually could be that the back pain is from lifting LO up and down all day and another possibility is postural changes from pregnancy itself.

I had an epidural and I have no back pain. The only time my back even remotely hurts is when I carry my 22lb LO around and it just gets tired from the workout!

I had one and haven't had any back pain. Hadn't realised lots of people did x

Hmm does this mean it's likely not from my epidural since my epidural went well?

I had back pain in pregnancy too, wonder if that's tied to it

i don't and i had mine in for a long time because of my emcs. i get back pain from babywearing though

Not at all, it's very rare to have long lasting effects from epidural - but it is possible. Maybe see your GP and if they rule out the epidural being the cause then see a chiropractor or osteopath? xx

I should have a 6week checkup soon, so I'll ask then! Thanks

Yeah I would definitely check with your Dr, I had a failed epidural and two spinals and no back pain here...

No unusual back pain here either. I had a textbook epidural which worked a treat. Everyone has at least a bit of back pain for a few months after giving birth as their spine moves back in to place post pregnancy. Could that be what you're feeling?

I havent had back pain and mine didn't take effect at all so I actually did it on just gas and air. I suffered from bad backs for years before LO and he got stuck back to back for
18 hours, so I'm actually amazed that I have had no problems at all.

I hope you get it sorted soon xx

my back USED to hurt and i was pretty sure it was from epidural it was in my lower back. but now my back doesnt hurt only when ive been carrying LO too long

Interesting! Epidural and no back pain here. I've actually not heard about this before.

I see ur breastfeeding, the back pain could be because your not getting enough support for ur back while nursing (this is actually common in first time nursing moms)

As is back pain in pregnancy depending on the position of your baby...

As for the epidural, there are risk with them. They aren't risk free, but the odds are small, so it probably isn't because of the epidural.

Ive heard you could have back pains which is one of the reasons i didnt want an epidural. A relative gave birth 6 weeks before me wity an epidural and a couple of weeks later she kept complaining of really bad back pain, not sure if linked coz my mum had epidural too anf she is fine apart from slight back pain in the first week but nothing major! X

No more pain here than can be accounted for by hauling chubby around :haha: x

No more pain here than can be accounted for by hauling chubby around :haha: x

Ha ha, yeah, I had a spinal block post-delivery to stitch up the tear, and I had some light nerve damage for a few weeks due to that, but the back pain can be squarely attributed to lugging around my giant baby.

I had back pain for almost 6 months after my LO's birth...

I read that almost 1/2 of women have back issues after having a baby, epi or not...something to do w the relaxin hormone...

Increased hormones can lead to lower back pain
During pregnancy, the body releases relaxin, a hormone that relaxes the joints and ligaments in your pelvis to make it easier for the baby to pass through the birth canal. Unfortunately, this instability also increases the risk of inflammation and joint misalignment, which can lead to lower back pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->