Does everyone get offered the amniocentesis test?

iluvcocopops

Mum to Molly-Rose
Reaction score
Does everyone get offered the amniocentesis test for Downs?

I was just thinking back to my first pregnancy when I was 30 & I clearly remember the midwife asking me if I would like the test. She didn't indicate that there was a reason for me needing the test, so at the time I thought it was just routine. However I refused to have it done.

I'm not 35yrs old expecting my second & the midwife didn't even mention the test at my 12wk scan.

So just wondering what is the normal routine in the UK when it comes to offering the amniocentesis test?

Only if your nuchal scan or quadruple test risk factor is 1 in 150 or less.

My midwife did explain it all at my booking appt and asked whether it's something I'd consider if needed but they'd only do it if the tests came back with high risk of Downs etc

I opted out of all of it, didn't do the nuchal fold thing.... But i believe that they only offer it if a certain number is recorded?!

As far as i know its only offered if you come back as high risk, I was offered as i came back as 1:120 chance but declined it anyway :flower:

My doctor had a lady who lost a perfectly healthy baby from doing an amnio so I opted for taking the Harmony test when we fell pregnant naturally at 39. With this pregnancy the Nauchal translucency test came back with such low chances it was considered fully negative for issues with the twins.

I wouldn't ever risk my baby even if it's less than 1% that miscarry due to an amnio. But I'm also not the type to opt out of testing for Downs /Trisomy etc. I fully believe that if there's something wrong with baby it's my responsibility as a parent to prepare for the needs of a special baby.

My doctor had a lady who lost a perfectly healthy baby from doing an amnio so I opted for taking the Harmony test when we fell pregnant naturally at 39. With this pregnancy the Nauchal translucency test came back with such low chances it was considered fully negative for issues with the twins.

I wouldn't ever risk my baby even if it's less than 1% that miscarry due to an amnio. But I'm also not the type to opt out of testing for Downs /Trisomy etc. I fully believe that if there's something wrong with baby it's my responsibility as a parent to prepare for the needs of a special baby.

Me too, the 1% chance is not that low really, if you think about it 1 in every 100 done ends badly, how many do hospitals do in a day?! Not worth it i agree!

No they don't offer it to everyone. Are you confusing it with them asking if you wanted the NT test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->