does everyone have growth scans?

Lulu1982

Reaction score
Or not?!

I've just been gettng my daily overdose of baby TV and everyone seems to be having growth scans.

Nobody has mentioned anything to me so I presume my 20 week scan was my last one?!x

You don't get any scans after your 20 week one in the uk unless there is anything that needs investigating.

Only if there is a medical indication, one example is a previous small baby, or maybe gestational diabetes.

A pregnancy with no risk factors will not be scanned more than two times on the NHS :)

They'll only do a growth scan at 36 weeks if you're concerned with size or to confirm breech position.

Thanks ladies! I think all these people must be paying and going private!

I don't feel like I've been given any information on anything at all so far!x

This is my third pregnancy and I have only ever had the 12 week and 20 week scans. I think it really is only if your measurements are a bit off or they are concerned, it's not common to have extras where I live.

You'll only be sent for a growth scan if they have reason to suspect your baby might be having a growth issue (either too small or too big). It does happen on the NHS. I had to have one, and two friends of mine had to have them done too.

I started getting them weekly at 36 weeks due to gestational diabetes but if I didn't have the diabetes I wouldn't be getting them at all.

The docs are reluctant at my place. The old place I went to was great. I had 12 scans! The docs felt like doing it all of the time.

I was even 3 weeks under growth at the last measurement and they STILL wouldn't do it!!!

Thanks ladies! I think all these people must be paying and going private!

I don't feel like I've been given any information on anything at all so far!x

On the nhs I've had:
Scan at 5+1
Scan at 5+2
Scan at 9+1
Scan at 13 weeks
Scan at 20+1
Scan at 21+1
Scan at 30+1
Growth scan booked for 34 weeks and if LO is still breech another at 36.

As much as its lovely to see your lO be grateful your pregnancy isn't problematic! :) xx

I have to have extra growth scans due to a high BMI, Got my last one on the 30th Nov' to be honest as nice as it is seeing her, it's hassle trying to find someone to run me up the hospital all the time!

I didnt with my first 3 pregnancys but i do now once a month bc im having twins:0)

I don't know about in the UK, but in the US it depends on your doctor. Mine does an ultrasound every visit. NOt sure when they start measuring, but they did it for me at 30 weeks and 32 weeks as I asked about it. I am guessing they usually start closer to labor like 34-36 weeks. :)

This is my 2nd pregnancy, and I have bi-weekly growth scans because I'm high risk. I only had 1 at 20 weeks with my 1st.

I have always had one at 12 weeks and one at 20 weeks. I had a growth scan with dd at 34 weeks as everyone used to at my hosp, but my hospital have since stopped this as theres no point without an indication of a problem. With ds, I had a very brief scan at 37 weeks as they thought he was breech - they just looked for his head then that was it lol, no measuring.

To be honest, I also feel like I am the only one not having a growth scan with this baby, my 2 preggers friends have had them even though they are both having sections anyway, so is a growth scan necessary lol?

Also I am in a fb group for due in Jan thro another forum I use, and all the other ladies seem to have growth scans, GTT etc as standard, not sure if its due to a high BMI etc.

I am def glad I have been lucky to have a very straightforward preg, and not require any extra things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->