Does exercise help baby brain, or is it permanent?

erikab922

Reaction score
I have some friends on anti-depressants and when I ask what it's like, they say it's like being in a fog (well, some of them say that) - I'm not on any meds but I feel like I'm a fog all the time. Problem is, I have a really technical job and it's starting to affect my work, I can tell.

I'm really crap for exercising at the moment and I'm wondering if when I start to exercise if this brain fog will lift, or is it now a permanent part of being a parent? Every day now feels like I have space for 50 things but I'm trying to cram in 80 things so my brain just kind of shuts down whereas pre-baby I'd find a way to shove it all in. No idea if that made sense!

Here's an example - around 3pm today I forgot two phone numbers that I've known by heart for years. I knew the general numbers but couldn't be sure I had them in the right order. Part of me is like, crap, I have a real brain issue here, like I'm getting Alzheimer's or something. Or maybe this is what having a kid does to you, because you can never shut off.

I am waffling, I know, but this is what I mean - my brain is FRIED. Hoping exercise will help but is it now a lost cause?

I think exercise is really great, parenting or not. When I was younger I was going through some rough time as a teenager and running and martial arts got me out of my funk pretty quickly. Now despite of having busy mom schedule I make sure I exercise at least 3 times a week and I noticed that once I started exercising again - mainly running (I waited for few months after birth and just did walking) I feel sooo much better. I also recently joined zumba and really love it!

I think exercise is really great, parenting or not. When I was younger I was going through some rough time as a teenager and running and martial arts got me out of my funk pretty quickly. Now despite of having busy mom schedule I make sure I exercise at least 3 times a week and I noticed that once I started exercising again - mainly running (I waited for few months after birth and just did walking) I feel sooo much better. I also recently joined zumba and really love it!

Thank you, this is totally what I needed to hear! So glad it's helped you.

I don't function without some sort of daily exercise, whether it is simple yoga at home, run outside, or a full 2 hour powerlifting session. I just cannot sit on my ass, I go nuts. It clears my brain. Longest I've gone without training in 10 years has been 3 weeks (after Philippe was born).

I don't function without some sort of daily exercise, whether it is simple yoga at home, run outside, or a full 2 hour powerlifting session. I just cannot sit on my ass, I go nuts. It clears my brain. Longest I've gone without training in 10 years has been 3 weeks (after Philippe was born).

I was hoping you'd chime in, you're like my fitness guru!

I was just thinking that my brain has gone to shit LOL. I try to get outdoors at least, I haven't had time for intensive exercise like I used to do.

I exercise nearly every morning, if I don't then I spend the rest of the day in my pj's being lazy! I find zumba lots of fun to do and I work up a good sweat so have to shower and then I feel like I might as well put on clothes instead of lounging in my pjs. Starts me off good every day and energises me, it also means I'm tired by the end of the day so have more chance of sleeping on an evening (I get bouts of insomnia). xx

Agree with going outside - no matter if rain or shine, even if only for 30 min, but it still makes a huge difference. I walk LO every day for few hrs and it keeps me sane (I'm a really big outdoors person though but I suggest going out for even few min is better than sitting in stuffy home). Ever since LO was born there hasn't been a single day (aside from 1 day she had fever due to shots) that we haven't been outside - she sleeps better after being in fresh air as well :)

LO & I go for a daily walk outside for 40 minutes.

When the weather doesn't cooperate, I definitely feel it & my LO isn't as happy & easygoing as usual, either.

It has been raining all day today & I'm feeling foggy & unmotivated.

I'm tempted to go out when the rain slows to a drizzle...can't stand feeling like this....

Haha definitely sounds like baby brain. It's terrible, isn't it..I just started exercising the past 2 weeks, 4 days a week after work for an hr at least. This morning was my first BEFORE work work out! Anyways, I noticed it clears my head and I'm much more focused than before! It's worth a shot.

Oh it's so hard to figure out when to do it - like many there's a morning drop-off at the childminders, then work all day, then making dinner, then baby bed-time etc. I am NOT a morning but get the feeling I need to learn how to become one.

I only tried it once today but I find it's less stressful getting it done and out of the way in the mornings!!! Although it was a horrible feeling getting up an hr and a half earlier than normal and thinking I could be sleeping right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->