Does Gas & Air make you sick?

N

Neecee

I've heard from a few people now that the gas & air made them sick whilst in labour. Anyone experienced this?

I'm really hoping this isn't the case, as I've spent most of this pregnancy being sick :cry:

It didnt make me sick but them I got it all out when I was in labour at home

wen i took very deep breaths of it, my head went all funny and made me feel very sick, i sat very still till the sickness passed, if it had been throughout a contraction i think i would have thrown up

Lou
xxx

I think if it is excessively used, my first attempt I went at it with the gas and air constantly, between contractions and everything.... but hey it was new to me and didn't quite know how to pace myself and the way it makes you giggle.... well! The midwife told me to just use it when I had a contraction but by that point I felt quite groggy and sick so decided to continue without it!

I think the lesson here, is gas and air in moderation is fine but don't do what I did!

It made me very sick. I'd only been using it for a few minutes when I was sick everywhere. However, I used it after an accident not in labour. I did have a paramedic breathing with me and showing me how to use it but it didn't help.

Well i never had it out my mouth and i was ok! loved the feeling of it at the start of labour. Just made me talk rubbish and laugh x

I spent more time chewing the mouth piece than actually sucking it in lol .

But i loved it no sickness here , Just a very surreal dreamy affect lol . x .

1st A combo of gas/air and pethadine made me sick...
2nd Gas and air alone seemed fine.

Made me very, very, very sick......but only after my son had been born.....about 30 minutes afterwards I think.

Seems that everyone reacts different to it.... I guess the only way to find out hun is to try it!

My MW told us that the first few breathes can make you feel sicky but stick with it cos after a few contractions u get used to it.

To be honest I have thrown up after birth 4 out of 5 times up to now and only used the gas and air during two deliveries....one of which was the last birth which was the only one I wasn't sick after:dohh:

I think it's the total situation, hormones rushing about, the shock etc, it's a lot for your body to cope with. I thought I was sick after my 1st two births coz of the pethidine which made me feel really bad but I was sick after my next two births too and I had mobile epidurals for those:dohh:.

It made me sick :(
Kind of similar to when I have had too much to drink and need to throw up :(

I am not having it again.

It didn't make me sick-it was a godsend! I kept getting told off for not taking it out my mouth inbetween contractions-my OH said I even fell asleep with it in my mouth at one point- but that was after having diamorphine as well!!

I would imagine many people would attribute the normal phenomenon of throwing up during labour (esp during the transition phase) to the gas and air... In some cases this would be accurate, and in some it's just what would happen anyway. I did throw up when beginning the transition phase, and did not have gas and air. It was also prior to taking any other pain medication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->