Does it get easier?

ChocolateC

Reaction score
FTM here. I love my baby more than anything but wow, has it been a lot of work to care for her (I took a year off work and my job seems SO much more relaxing than being a full-time mom). And she's an easy baby, not colicky, no allergies, no issues! I breastfed exclusively, now am bfing plus feeding solids and pumping milk to save. I got up at night a lot in the first 7 months, but still do sometimes, and naptimes are difficult because she fights sleep. And of course I'm always wondering "am I doing the best possible thing for my baby? Am I making her happy, smart, healthy?"
This is a stupid question, but do you think it gets any easier with time?

Definitely. I found it incredibly difficult at first but over time, either he got easier or I got used to it... Perhaps both. Naps got easy for us around nine months - he'd go down easily and sleep for at least an hour, often two. Bedtime was easy from around six months and bar the odd few days, it's always been a breeze.

Now at 16 months, I don't have to hoist a baby around everywhere, he understands lots of what I say and rarely uses crying to communicate. Plus toddlers are so much fun that I don't mind the hard bits. We go through phases and illness can be rough but generally my little guy is pretty chilled (in a never-sits-down busy bee toddler kind of way). I can have a cup of tea (as long as I share my biscuit) whilst he plays cars and chucking him into the garden solves every problem. I get to eat these days (as long as I share) and he can amuse himself in his cot with toys whilst I shower. He sleeps through until 7:30 some days so lack of sleep only happens if he's poorly.

Yes. I found 9mths quite challenging but now at 18mths she will play happily for huge parts of the day independently! Xx though they never get 'easier' but definitely nicer when they are occupied. X

I have a 21, almost 22 month old and I'd say it gets easier ;)

Oh yeah, it gets way easier. My daughter is also 21 (going on 22) months and she's so cool! She's the easiest child in the world.

It does get easier :) I have a 2 & half year old . It brings different challenges but he can play tell me he wants a drink / food tell me if something is hurting . Then I have a almost 6 month old which ia challenging but ino things get easier x

Well since your baby doesn't seem high needs I'm going to answe3r yes....our two yr old still hasn't gotten easier to deal with...

I've definitely found it got easier, especially once that first month or two was over. Now that she's walking I can chase her around until she's tired, and she doesn't even bother to fight naps or bedtime. I do miss being able to stick her in the chest harness and just cart her around places, but the toddler curiosity and playfulness more than makes up for it!

The parts that I'd say don't get easier is that with older babies/toddlers, you have to plan more. For example - I can't just push LO round town in the pram, I have to factor in lots if stops for him to play and stretch his legs; I can't have lunch in a cafe whilst he naps in the pram (this was never a dead cert anyway with my LO), I have to plan lunch somewhere with an outside space where we can tag team watching him whilst he runs round outside; people will look with sympathy at a mum whose baby is crying but think you're a bad parent if your toddler screams somewhere peaceful. It's swings and roundabouts in a way, but the laborious side of parenting *does* vanish as they become more independent. Also, it's a case of 'better the devil you know' I think - no matter what mood or whether they throw tantrums, it's easier due to it being more predictable - I know my kid will be good at mealtime, bedtime and nap time and tomorrow is a new day!!

Most definitely. I had to return to work when DD was 3 months old (own a joint business with a friend and my cover was leaving). It was a NIGHTMARE to bring her to work at first- she wanted attention pretty much 24/7. She's one next week- not perfect but she will entertain herself for longer periods now.

I found my dd1 got easier and easier from 6 months onwards. She is now generally a delight but has 3 year old challenges. My dd2 is easier than dd1 but that is perhaps because I've done it all before 😃

It definitely gets easier. I hated the baby days and totally wished them away. It became more enjoyable from around 8 months. And I find toddlerhood so much fun. It will get better, hang in there! :hugs:

Oh yes, definitely! My LO is nearly 15 months and he's so much fun. He wad a terrible baby with colic, reflux and naps but now he's goes down easy. Meal times he'll feed himself to a degree. He understands things I'm saying, he plays games and he's just hilarious. I love the toddler stage!

Thanks, ladies! This is really helpful. The idea of a child going down for a nap WILLINGLY is amazing to me. I can't wait! (though I'll be sad when I can't carry DD around in my arms)

Thanks, ladies! This is really helpful. The idea of a child going down for a nap WILLINGLY is amazing to me. I can't wait! (though I'll be sad when I can't carry DD around in my arms)

Mine doesn't just go for naps willingly - he actually points to his cot after his bath and story. Straight down no messing. It will happen and when it does you'll feel amazing!

Toddlers are SO much fun. I'm loathe to TTC our next as I find just having LO pretty easy these days. Obviously there are hard bits and we haven't quite hit terrible twos, but you can take toddlers to places and they enjoy doing things - we took LO to the museum the other day to see the dinosaurs and he had the best time. Toddlers don't need bottles - we just pack a drink, a snack and tie in one of his meals with lunch out so he just shares whatever we have. We get lunch out and he gets fed - everyone's happy!

Mine doesn't just go for naps willingly - he actually points to his cot after his bath and story. Straight down no messing. It will happen and when it does you'll feel amazing!

I think my daughter is broken, she's never gone willingly to bed in all her life, so don't beat yourself up if it doesn't happen, they're all different. Most of the time it is easier now dd1 is older, she's still high needs and drives us all distracted but we wouldn't be without her!

I do love little babies, but I'll admit that life does get easier, and things run more smoothly when they're older!

I have a 9yo and a 7.5 month old. It DEFINITELY gets easier!!!! Enjoy every day and age though coz it really does go fast, as they say, and although it gets easier the more independent they are, they are also getting more independent in the sense that they don't want so much attention/cuddles etc the older they get.

I think some aspects get easier and some get harder. When you feel like you're negotiating with a tiny bossy human, it can feel pretty tiring. My son's bedtime dawdling is a nightmare! But then there's all the funny things they say and do! Toddlers are hilarious.

It is most definitely a full time job, no doubt about that. My husband said he goes to work for a break and he's cop! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->