Does it sound like a name you would give a pet?

gumb69

No.3 on its way
Reaction score
Hiya,

We are team yellow and struggling with names. We have a little girl called Chloe. This time we were trying to avoid a top ten name.
We both like Toby for a boy but think it prob only suits a baby or then again does it sound like a name you would give a pet dog/cat? DH also likes Greg.
I am not keen on girls names, DH likes Annie and Alice
What do you think
Boy- Toby/Greg
Girl - Annie/Alice

help???
Would love thoughts, opinions suggestions. I am so indecisive at the best of times and pregnancy has made me worse!!!!
Does it sound like a pet animal?

Toby is one of the names we like for a boy but like you we are thinking he may grow out of it, then we have the option of going with Tobias on paper and Toby as nickname so he can revert to Tobias if he wishes. I'm not sure I'm as keen on Tobias though :shrug:

I don't see it as a pet name though :thumbup:

I was going to suggest Tobias nn Toby. Definitely not a pet name.

I love Alice x

As above , i like Toby but I would register as Tobias incase he wanted another option. Not a pet name, Im having the same thoughts myself over Jasper (husband loves it, im not sure)

I've known some Tobies so it doesn't sound like a pet name to me. slightly off topic, when I hear the name Sasha I think of a pet. I hear it used as a pet name more than a child's name

I like all your name choices. If anything I'm a bit anal about giving kids 'formal' names if they go by nicknamey-names, so I'd probably put Tobias or Gregory on the birth certificate.

Alice was on our maybe list last time, so that's my vote out of the girl choices.

I have a friend called Toby and it definitely still suits him now :)

I had a dog called Toby but i think not a bad name xx

I've known a dog named Greg lol so really any name can be a pet name. I would not think of Toby as only a pet name, no. If you were to name your child Rex (sorry, I do know someone with this name) just seems like a pet name to me though.

I like proper names but at the same time I'm not sure I'm a fan of "Tobias" and I do think Toby ages just as well as Andy, whom I also know a few adults named Andrew but prefer Andy. Greg I would definitely name Gregory and use NN but that's just my personal thought.

I would use Anne with nn Annie to help her age better. Alice is a nice old-fashioned name as well. I like it. Alison or Alicia are also similar options.

I'm not sure Chloe and Toby go well together, however, and that would put me off moreso than whether or not it's a pet name. Chloe & Greg go well together, as well as Lucas, Jack/Jackson, David, Kyle, Michael, etc.

Chloe and Alice go nicer than Chloe and Anne/Annie IMO. Other options could be: Jasmine, Harper, Bethany, Sarah, Farrah, Faye, etc.

Toby - Not a pet's name! I have a friend called Toby (not Tobias, just Toby) and it suits him fine :)
Greg - Seems a bit of an older man's name to me, but that's just my opinion.

Annie - Lovely. Agree with pp though, I would go with Anne or Anna just to help it age better.
Alice - Love it! Sounds lovely with Chloe too

Suggestions:

Chloe & Aleah
Chloe & Ella

Chloe & Steffan
Chloe & Jake/Jacob

Thank you so much ladies for all your comments, really appreciate it xxxx

Adore Alice. I do think of Toby as a name for a dog, but I actually agree with the thought that it would only suit a baby/toddler too.

I don't think you have to choose a name that would suit an adult. Names change all the time, what may seem like a baby type name now, will be used by thousands of adults in the future.
All your names are nice!

I think several well liked names Are now used on PETs simply because people didn't use them for A child

Annie is our tops girls choice also love Toby x

I know a Toby and someone actually went upto him and said 'thats my dogs name' he didn't know how to take it! But I still like it :)

Love Alice that's one of the names I have picked out :)

And to pp Jasper is my old dogs name :haha:

I love Toby. My name is Terri and people often ask if my name is Theresa/Teresa. I tell them that if my mom wanted me called Theresa, she would've named me Theresa. So...if you love Toby, call him Toby.

I like both of your girls' names. Yay for team yellow! I'm going to be team 'green' when that day comes!

i like Toby, i know one little boy called Toby and don't associate it with dog/pet names at all.

im also not sure it goes that well with cchloe, possibley a bit rhymey?

I don't think you have to choose a name that would suit an adult. Names change all the time, what may seem like a baby type name now, will be used by thousands of adults in the future.

Also, by the time our babies are grown up half the world's adults will be called things like 'Apple' and 'Candi' so Toby will be a perfectly sensible name whatever age he is :rofl:

I work at a veterinary hospital and we have a lot of pets named Toby/Tobi. but I'm not a fan of people naming their pets people names. the first thing I think of when I hear Toby is The Labyrinth. :) I like Tobias myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->