Does money really make you happy??

Most people won't agree but yes, in my mind money does make you happy simple lol, it baffles me when people who win the lotto say it was a "curse" they wish they had never won it, it's like shut up and give me the bloody money then 'cause I surely need it! lol
___XO

I think in the lotto winner scenario, people may place all their hopes for happiness into it and it then becomes an anticlimax iykwim? All your general problems that don't directly relate to money or skintness would still be there waiting for you when the initial buzz of being able to splash as much cash as u wanted wears off, possibly worse cos of ignoring them for a while and/or just crashing down after the high anyway.

It's easy to dream about riches bringing happiness but reality is never the same as our dreams about anything in life :flower:

Most people won't agree but yes, in my mind money does make you happy simple lol, it baffles me when people who win the lotto say it was a "curse" they wish they had never won it, it's like shut up and give me the bloody money then 'cause I surely need it! lol
___XO

I think in the lotto winner scenario, people may place all their hopes for happiness into it and it then becomes an anticlimax iykwim? All your general problems that don't directly relate to money or skintness would still be there waiting for you when the initial buzz of being able to splash as much cash as u wanted wears off, possibly worse cos of ignoring them for a while and/or just crashing down after the high anyway.

It's easy to dream about riches bringing happiness but reality is never the same as our dreams about anything in life :flower:

Oh yeah I totally get what you mean hun defiinitly, but I really think money would make me happier emtionally as well you know? I think the majority of the time if I'm down or whatever is because of money, I'm sure if I had some I would feel so much better within myself.

OT: but your doing a OU course mind if I PM you about it more please? I'd like to know a couple of things if that's okay? :)
___XO

^ Yeah of course u can, I'm happy to help/advise if I can :) There's that thread on it too, link in my sig. There are a few ppl on here doing OU xx

Having money doesn't make me happier, but not having it does make me sad/stressed/anxious.

I suppose I take it for granted when I have it.

id rather be broke and happy then well off and unhappy.

right now im well off and unhappy, but having money does make life much easier and knowing i dont have to worry about the boys having everything they need is a great feeling

Obviously, the kind of poverty that means not even having your basic needs met is pretty miserable, so money would help there - as long as it was able to acquire those necessities for you. I think it's pretty fair to say that not starving anymore = happier.
But when we're talking about the average westerner - I think we're swimming in privilege, but most of us get sucked into the massive materialism and consumerism around us and choose to be discontent.
I don't want to win the lottery. I want to feel the seriously sweet satisfaction of making my dreams come true by my own hard work and wits. That makes me happy. It kept me happy when I was a broke student and it keeps me happy now as I am enjoying a more comfortable lifestyle.
And I really really try to make a practise of gratitude. Being thankful is a huge key to happiness, I think.

I think it is also about the opportunity - as well as the relief from financial burden - being able to pursue an interest without finances restricting you, spend time with the family etc etc. There are courses I would love to take, which would be feasible if I didn't have to work.

The opportunities opened to your children for education and experiences that you just couldn't afford in your current situation.

I think it is normal to dream of it happening.

Obviously, the kind of poverty that means not even having your basic needs met is pretty miserable, so money would help there - as long as it was able to acquire those necessities for you. I think it's pretty fair to say that not starving anymore = happier.
But when we're talking about the average westerner - I think we're swimming in privilege, but most of us get sucked into the massive materialism and consumerism around us and choose to be discontent.

And I really really try to make a practise of gratitude. Being thankful is a huge key to happiness, I think.

This.

As long as we have lifes necessities we should be content. :flower:

It would make my life happier. The main thing I stress about is lack of money

Whenever i see this question it reminds me of

"Money doesnt buy happiness, but i'd rather cry in my Ferarri" :lol:

I think it can buy temporary happiness, but it cannot make you truly happy and content, that must come from within.

I don't think it'll make you happy if you're not, but it can certainly make life a bit easier. But the more you have the more you spend. We moved to a nicer area now that we can afford it, but our mortgage is considerably larger, but our disposable income is still the same as it was on a lesser income. So nothing much has changed really.

I think you have to look at what things in your life make you happy, and 9/10 times, it's not having money sitting in the bank that does it for most people.

more money would make things easier. So therefore happier in a sense.

Lack of money, partner spending habits different to your own, unexpected bills or medical expenses, having to debate whether you can afford something that is $3 are all things that contribute to stress and friction in a relationship.

Being financially independent (whatever this means for you personally) would alleviate a lot of the stress most people feel with regard to money...

IMO One has to count the pennies and the other is financially independent, but they otherwise have the same life issues (kids/oh/health etc) the one who is financially independent would be happier.

Im going to stick my neck out here and say yes it can make you happier.

Im lucky and from a fairly well off family who have also worked blooming hard for what they have. Ive worked since I was 15 years old and although times have been hard now and again Ive always got by and have no debt.
My OH is on excellent wages and we have money to spend and we go out etc but I got sacked from my job and am missing my own money and not having a wage coming in solely for my own spends. I consider myself very lucky to live the way I have over the yeras and to be where I am now but money does help make things nicer, a lot.
x

I think it can make things easier but not happier we are happy or sad by how we view life and our circumstances, sure i would love to have enough money to not worry about bills,shopping, the odd takeout, how we are gonna meet unexpected costs etc... but after seeing OH's father who has plenty enough money to get us out of all our finnaical worries but wont because hes so scared of not having money then id not trade places with him anyday, we are working hard to improve our circumstances and there will be a time i hope when im not counting pennies to check i have enough to go get the milk and bread but I hope when that day comes that I wont waste any disposible income in the way we have in the past when we have had it and instead still live sensibly and save that money so we can bless our children if they ever end up in the place we currently find ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->