Does nipple pain improve as they get older?

Katteh

Reaction score
I get a bit of nipple pain still at 4.5 weeks of breastfeeding, but nothing unbearable by any means. Midwives and a lactation consultant couldn't find any issues with his latch but he did have a tongue tie which was snipped.

His weight gain has been good (10oz week before last, 15oz last week) and I'm pretty sure he empties my breasts well as I haven't had any blocked ducts, they feel empty after he has fed and my supply seems pretty good, so I don't think it's causing issues in that respect.

Will the pair improve as he gets bigger and his mouth is bigger?

I only get pain when he has an 'all day nursing' growth spurt. And even then it's minimal. He is 9 weeks now :)

ETA:

I think it was pretty good after the end of his 6 week growth spurt. Ill bet snipping the lip tie will help too. If your still hurting after 6 weeks I might see someone again

Believe me, by 7 months in and you'll have nipples of steel! ;) I was still finding it a little uncomfortable until about 8 weeks in, although I had over active letdown and LO tried to handle it by clamping down on my nipple. Ouchy. By about 9 weeks she had properly learnt to handle it and our BF relationship quickly went from strength to strength. I am yet to meet a real life Mummy (i.e. not on a forum) who hasn't found that breastfeeding hurt to start with, although most didn't experience pain for as long as me. It's soooo worth it in the end though for so many reasons.

Your LO will become a more efficient feeder, and your nips will toughen, I promise it will get so much easier and painfree if you know the latch is fine xxx

Mine were still a bit sore up until 8 weeks or so. And some days it still hurts a little. But DD has a lip tie.

Thanks ladies! Cupcakebaby, my LO has a lip tie too, are you planning on getting your LOs cut?

Thankfully the pain isn't too bad at all, I still love bfing!x

We're not much further in than you, and it still hurts when he latches on, but the pain goes away after a few moments, so I know we're getting there. DS also has a lip tie, but when I asked my pediatrician about it, she said that it wasn't too bad. Plus, they can snip tongue ties in their office, but not lip ties, because they bleed too much.

As for the tongue tie, my DD had one, and even after they snipped it at 2 weeks, BFing was still really painful (to the point where it would make me cry when she latched on, even after 7 weeks), and I only learned later that some babies continue to feed the way that they did with the tongue tie, so they need to be re-trained to latch and suck correctly.

BFing was completely painless for me at 3 weeks (M latched on perfectly first time & no issues which I think helped), but I have heard it can last up to 8 weeks, so hopefully it will ease soon for you.

I really had to reply to this. I struggled SO much upto at least 10 weeks. Around that time and with very little support from anyone I sat at my doctors surgery crying my eyes out and talking to a wonderful nurse who had so much time for me (I was so pleased I'd found someone to listen). I was still in so much pain, I was sore and I still winced each time she latched on. Everyone kept telling me that by 6-8 weeks maximum it would be gone but it wasn't. I was distraught. Although my daughter was quite big at birth she was also very dainty in her features etc and her mouth was small, she would not open wide enough, and was also feeding very regularly so I never got a rest. Anyway the nurse recommended Kamillosan cream which is FANTASTIC!!! I use that after each feed. By 12 weeks the feeding is going great, she has grown, mouth is bigger etc so it's fallen into place now, and I thought it never would. It can still sometimes feel a little uncomfortable for a second or two but there's no pain now and seems to be falling into place. Don't worry if by 6 or 8 weeks its still not right, it WILL get better. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->