Does taking Folic acid really helps in conceiving ?

shivangi1210

Reaction score
Hi,

My doctor has prescribed me Folic Acid as i'm TTC for 3 months.
Reason she gave me is that it helps for a healthy growth of fetus.

But I Read some where that Folic acid also helps in conceiving.
Is it true and if yes then how it helps !!

Thanks In Advance :flower:

I only know of folic acid preventing spinabifida (might be spelled wrong) when taken by women. I've read that folic acid taken by men helps the swimmers out. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

I've never heard of it helping conceiving either. It's just supposed to help with fetal spine development is all I've ever heard about it.

I've never read that it helps with fertility, only fetal development. I've been taking folate for 8 months now. TTC cycle 6. Not pregnant yet.

There is ample of evidence for proving benefits of folic acid in early pregnancy, like it protects your baby from birth defects. Neural tube defects occur 25 to 29 days after a woman gets pregnant. At that time, many women are not even aware that they are pregnant. Because these defects form so early, you should begin taking vitamins that contain folic acid before you get pregnant.
Few site says, by taking vitamins with folic acid in them you are creating a healthier environment in your body which in the long run could allow your egg and sperm to survive more easily and help you to conceive. But that’s it. I don’t really see it’s any other role in fertility or conception.
There is also one article published in 2006 that says folic acid along with other multivitamins can lower risk of suffering problems producing eggs - the second biggest cause of female infertility. Moreover, Believe it or not, there is no harm in continuing it. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->