Does the baby really get enough after birth?

kate1984

Expecting a Princess
Reaction score
Im not due till next year but want to breastfeed this time, had to stop last time due to little one getting jaundice and needing to go on billybed for 3 days and I couldnt express enough I just became engorged and got bad mastitius.

Anyhoo im rambling now what I want to know is if only a few tiny drops come out after birth will that be really enough to keep them nourished and hydrated. My milk didnt come in for 3 days so 3 days of maybe a few drops every few hours just doesnt seem right?

Is it wise to feed baby formula till milk comes in? Can somebody please explain it for me and how it works.

Im not due till next year but want to breastfeed this time, had to stop last time due to little one getting jaundice and needing to go on billybed for 3 days and I couldnt express enough I just became engorged and got bad mastitius.

Anyhoo im rambling now what I want to know is if only a few tiny drops come out after birth will that be really enough to keep them nourished and hydrated. My milk didnt come in for 3 days so 3 days of maybe a few drops every few hours just doesnt seem right?

Is it wise to feed baby formula till milk comes in? Can somebody please explain it for me and how it works.

Yes, the milk is enough. No it is not wise to feed formula.

Your baby's stomach will be TINY when they first come out, a few drops do fine. Also, colostrum is extremely nutrient rich.

The baby NEEDS to suck or your nipples, or your milk won't come in as well. Also, formula is abundant and flows much faster, and can lead to overfeeding at that age, which stretches the stomach.

https://www.healthychildren.org/Eng...ng/pages/Colostrum-Your-Babys-First-Meal.aspx

Their stomach is the size of a tiny marble the first 2-3 days. So yes it is enough it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't enough how would the human race have survived? About jaundice it's common in both BF and FF babies though later onset jaundice is more common in BF babies, in the vast majority of cases it is nothing to do with poor intake it's just a physiological mechanism that takes a while to kick in properly in some babies and genetic factors can come into play as well. My husband and I both have some type of as yet unidentified gene which means all of our LOs get substantially jaundiced no matter what, almost all babies in his family are formula fed from birth and still develop it. We both have the same blood group so that isn't it. It's just one of those odd things xx

Yes, your milk and colostrum is enough. It's perfect. It's natural. My milk didn't come in for maybe a week?? I'm not sure, but I know I came home from the hospital after 3 days and it wasn't in yet. Everything was perfectly FINE.

No, no, no and NO. Unless you really have some big problem, no you shouldn't feed formula. It will only hurt your supply. Just nurse as often as needed, on demand, as much as you can. Baby will nurse and signal your body to make the right amount of milk. Breastfeeding is a really wonderful experience so I hope you are able to do it this time! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->