Does this happen to you?

L

lfernie

We're planning to do BLW when the time comes so obviously we're putting off weaning till 6 months however everyone I speak to is like 'you should get him on solids asap' and 'u'll just make it harder on urself if u wait that long' and the best one 'i did it at 4 months as thats what the hv told me at the time so u should just do that' blah blah blah! What's the big deal with him not eating solids till he's 6 months?I just don't understand what's peoples obsession with eating solids is about. Has anyone else experienced this? X

I got it alot with Hayden, we didn't do BLW but we did wait until 6mo and he actually didn't eat until 9mo, he didn't want it and I didn't push it...so I guess it was baby led haha just with purees and solid food, not the same as the real "BLW" that's popular now but he decided when to eat. But I heard it all the time, "he NEEDS food", "breastmilk is not enough", "he's not getting enough iron", "I gave cereal by 2mo" on and on...I didn't really care because I knew waiting until 6mo was the best thing to do, but it was kind of annoying hearing people who "know it all" give advice I knew was wrong lol

Of course! You should see the look on everyone's faces when I tell them he doesn't get mashes, purees or cereal! :haha: They think I am a total nutter.

It comes from tradition. If you haven't read BLW by Gill Rapley, you should. There is a long explanation in there about weaning and trends in the last century or so. After reading it, why people are so shocked about waiting will make more sense.

Next time just tell them that the World Health Organization, among others, now recommend waiting until 6 months to wean!

My mum's been very supportive of my natural parenting style but last time we visited, I mentioned waiting till 6 months and she was very much of the opinion that babies should/can be weaned at 4 months. I don't know if she knows the guidelines have changed though and we didn't get chance to talk about it properly. I can't imagine weaning at 4 months though - Leyla is 14 weeks today and she still seems sooooo tiny to me. Couldn't picture her eating food in just two weeks!

It really riles me. Every other mummy I know weaned on the 17th week using any excuse they could come up with. My favourite is "he/she is a hungry baby", really? And you think giving them a 10cal cube of pureed fruit is going to help? Milk has TONNES more calories than fruit or veg and also has all the goodness they need up til 6months. IMO if your baby is filling their tum with fruit mush and dropping milk feeds they're only going to lose more weight (which is happening with one of my friends). If you want to early wean that's your decision but don't come telling me my baby is "ready for weaning" because he wakes at 2am for a feed. I wouldn't start listing the reasons against early weaning to someone who did so I don't see why they feel the need to list the reasons why MY baby should. My favourite was when he grabbed a plate and someone said "I'm so ready to be weaned mum". Right so if he grabs a beer bottle is he 'so ready' for alcohol? I'm sick to death of people thinking they can imply I'm doing things 'wrong' when I'm actually following guidelines.

Yeah, I'm going to read BLW by Gill Rapley and see if that sheds any light on it as Tiger Lady said. I just can't figure out why people are so OBSESSED with it. If your babies hungry give him more milk?:wacko: if your baby was hungry as a new born you wouldn't think I better give him/her baby rice you would offer more milk. Glad other people seem to have the same experience...I was starting to think I'd missed something!:haha:

I've been so straight forward with my family about my intentions of waiting but I live so far away that I don't think they care. I'm going home to stay for three-four months in a week and I have a feeling they will be pushing for me to wean as well. :nope: Most women I talk to with a baby the same age as mine seem to be weaning already. But that isn't enough for me to do it. I don't feel Emma is even close to being ready. She is a slow weight gainer and I don't feel that introducing solids would really help her at this point. :shrug: I would love to read Gill Rapley's book!! I tried ordering it on Amazon and it is backordered. :growlmad:

ive just this book, i wasnt sure i got the right one, so im glad i have!

Cleckner, I had the same problem with the book on Amazon (in the US). I ended up getting one from Barnes and Noble and canceling my Amazon order. But I couldn't wait as Otter was ready to start and I needed to read it!

I am pregnant so it is all in the planning stage at the moment and most people don't seem to have an issue with starting the weaning process at 6 months or at least don't say they do and if they did I would quickly point out that 6 months is the right age to wait. However I think the reason I don't get much hassle may be because they have an issue with a vegetarian diet which does not bother me since I know it is perfectly healthy to offer one. People also seem to think I am mad when I say that me and my husband want to make the baby food ourselves (and freeze to store some so we don't have to do it from scratch all the time) to make sure it is a healthy balanced one rather than use pre-bought jars of food!

I've been so straight forward with my family about my intentions of waiting but I live so far away that I don't think they care. I'm going home to stay for three-four months in a week and I have a feeling they will be pushing for me to wean as well. :nope: Most women I talk to with a baby the same age as mine seem to be weaning already. But that isn't enough for me to do it. I don't feel Emma is even close to being ready. She is a slow weight gainer and I don't feel that introducing solids would really help her at this point. :shrug: I would love to read Gill Rapley's book!! I tried ordering it on Amazon and it is backordered. :growlmad:

I'm keen to BLW.

My Sil started weaning her LO (my niece) at 11weeks with cereal and she's now 17weeks and on 3 meals a day (sticking with 5 portions of fruit and veg etc) all pureed. she is underweight for her age and is slow gaining but puts alot of emphasis on the food rather than the formula.

honestly, putting too much emphasis on solids before 6 months is what can lead to being underweight. They don't get NEARLY the calories and fat from solids that they do from milk. Not to mention solids are harder to digest.

I hope your SIL's LO gains soon. :hugs:

Cleckner, I had the same problem with the book on Amazon (in the US). I ended up getting one from Barnes and Noble and canceling my Amazon order. But I couldn't wait as Otter was ready to start and I needed to read it!

Oo I just now saw this. *instantly looks at Barnes and Noble* :rofl: I still have a little over a month but that would give me plenty of time to read and figure out how to go about it all. I'm getting excited to start!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->