• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Doggy people

beth_terri

Reaction score
My 10 month old boxer has just come into season. I have a cream living room carpet. Anything I can do? Or do I just have to keep her out the living room and chase her around with a mop? X

Diaper? they have ones with a tail hole if she has to much of a stub/has tail. If not measure her and look into adult diapers.

Some places will spay her. KEEP HER ON A LEASH! Do NOT let her out on a tie out cable or a fence as there is always risk she will mate. May want to get an exercise pen, large crate or baby gate depending on your house set up.

yeah, when my old dog used to go into heat we would put diapers on her till it passed

I walked mine in heat ONCE. On a lead. Bad idea. Intact males turned up at my home and were in my front garden pining for him. My shepherd turned into a whore (really!) and was desperate to get them.

I haven't walked them when in season since! It's not ideal but the season is only around a month long. I keep them active in the garden (exercise and mind games, kong balls, hiding stuff etc).

I put boxers on them too but they live outside now in specially built kennels so no need for that anymore.

I walked mine in heat ONCE. On a lead. Bad idea. Intact males turned up at my home and were in my front garden pining for him. My shepherd turned into a whore (really!) and was desperate to get them.

I haven't walked them when in season since! It's not ideal but the season is only around a month long. I keep them active in the garden (exercise and mind games, kong balls, hiding stuff etc).

I put boxers on them too but they live outside now in specially built kennels so no need for that anymore.

Curious is spaying not common in your area or these are breeding dogs? I am in US and in my area you do not normally go build a kennel to keep the female-it would be cheaper to just send her to be spayed(or to a shelter if you got tired of the dog:( Though there are the (mostly)pit bull breeders who have a few in a kennel and just breed to get the 250-500 per pup to sell online.

If you have a yard stay out with them as dogs can jump fences when there is THAT much temptation! I am in area where more have no fenced yard so that is why I said walking on leash vs tie out cable. I would NOT leave my property if I had one in season.

Curious is spaying not common in your area or these are breeding dogs? I am in US and in my area you do not normally go build a kennel to keep the female-it would be cheaper to just send her to be spayed(or to a shelter if you got tired of the dog:( Though there are the (mostly)pit bull breeders who have a few in a kennel and just breed to get the 250-500 per pup to sell online.

If you have a yard stay out with them as dogs can jump fences when there is THAT much temptation! I am in area where more have no fenced yard so that is why I said walking on leash vs tie out cable. I would NOT leave my property if I had one in season.

No, it's just my vet recommends them having a few seasons and 'maturing' before neutering. They will have one more then will be spayed (yay!!).

Our old home was much larger so we were able to have them live inside, which I prefer overall but we had to move and our new home is smaller, too small for a GSD and a mastiff. The house came with 2 prebuilt kennels (wooden, like a shed but with concrete floors which we lined with lots of vet bedding for their comfort) and the fences surrounding are over 6 foot so no chance of escape at all. It's very secure and was the deciding factor in going for our home.

We were very desperate and could not imagine giving up our girls (our mastiff especially has always been a bit nervy, I dread to think where she'd end up - bred continuously or PTS :() so this was the best option for us. I could never imagine breeding from my girls.

I should add we live on a mountain, not many people around but they do have dogs (farming area) so the non walking is safer for them.

Ha that turned into an essay, apologies.

I've had boxers all my life, the best thing to do is just keep her in the garden with you, plenty of excersise games ect. As boxers do need there excersise .
Also that is rubbish all she needs is 1 season and she will be fine to get done.
Well done another one to the boxer dog family:)
They are truely amazing dogs.

No, it's just my vet recommends them having a few seasons and 'maturing' before neutering. They will have one more then will be spayed (yay!!).

Our old home was much larger so we were able to have them live inside, which I prefer overall but we had to move and our new home is smaller, too small for a GSD and a mastiff. The house came with 2 prebuilt kennels (wooden, like a shed but with concrete floors which we lined with lots of vet bedding for their comfort) and the fences surrounding are over 6 foot so no chance of escape at all. It's very secure and was the deciding factor in going for our home.

We were very desperate and could not imagine giving up our girls (our mastiff especially has always been a bit nervy, I dread to think where she'd end up - bred continuously or PTS :() so this was the best option for us. I could never imagine breeding from my girls.

I should add we live on a mountain, not many people around but they do have dogs (farming area) so the non walking is safer for them.

Ha that turned into an essay, apologies.

No worries. Thanks for clearing that up. By me it is spay before the first heat for cats and dogs. The place I used to get my girl done low cost does ANY kitten or puppy over 2 lbs. Another does any over 4 months. My one girl came spayed already and the puppy got done at 6 months. I had more then a few people offer me money for the pup and when said no first thing they asked was "do you plan to breed her?"

Think different approaches may have much to do with how bad population is of homeless pets. It is pretty bad by me. I can go 20 minutes drive and pick up a few pit bulls off the street who are homeless. No matter WHEN you go you will find some roaming. Cats are the same.

That's so sad :( It's not so bad where I am but other areas have lots of unwanted pets :( my cats were also neutered young (6-7 months).

I would try to keep her outdoors in your garden as much as possible my boxer loves being outdoors :)
My boxer was 2 yesterday :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->