Doing Santa/tooth fairy/Easter bunny with your LO?

S

socitycourty

A question as a first time mom, of course this Christmas she's too little for "santa" but I'm wondering what you do when they get older. We celebrate Christmas as a family holiday, gifts, food, etc. not as a religious day for us, so no church or anything like that. My in laws are heavily christian and didn't do "santa" with their kids.

I just wonder if it's better not to pretend so she doesn't have that moment where some other kid tells her it's not real? or do it as long as she'll believe it.

i found out there was no Santa by my own fault, snooping in my mom's room and found my letter to Santa under her bed!!!! :haha:

just looking for anyone's opinion, pro or con

I fully plan to do Santa with my kids, I think it's really fun and adds to the magic of Christmas for children.

I was disappointed when I had a friend tell me that Santa wasn't real, but I still look back on those exciting Christmas Eves with so much fondness. I want the same for my LOs. :)

We do Santa with the kids. It's a bit of magic for them so why not. I was raised without Santa and I kinda wish I was able to have that. We took our boys today to get Christmas pictures and Santa pics.

DH and I will be doing Santa and the Toothfairy with our LO, but we're still both a little unsure of the Easter Bunny.

We fully intend on doing Santa. I loved 'believing' as a child & then I loved trying to catch out my parents when I started to realise. I use to set traps up to catch the parents in the act!

I'll be doing the toothfairy as well as I think it makes it a nicer time when they start losing teeth.

Won't be doing Easter Bunny. It's not something we ever did.

Santa IS real!!! Im 31 and still get excited ha ha. I too was a snooper n i learnt that it ruins the day so now i dont.

I am a nursery nurse too so xmas has always bn an exciting time for me.

I always make a big deal of it for finn, letters, reindeer dust outside n mince pie n bottle of beer for santa n carrot for rudolph in xmas eve. I cant bloody wait n i cant wait til the twins are old enough too.

Were also discussin the tooth fairy as finn has 3 slack teeth.

Dont really do easter bunny tho.

I think its a cute tradition and fully plan to do Santa with Claire. I remember seeing this out there and I think when she asks if Santa is real, I plan to use this:

Dear Lucy,

Thank you for your letter. You asked a very good question: “Are you Santa?”

I know you’ve wanted the answer to this question for a long time, and I’ve had to give it careful thought to know just what to say.

The answer is no. I am not Santa. There is no one Santa.

I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Daddy helps, too.)

I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the Christmas magic stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.

This won’t make you Santa, though.

Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.

It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you can’t measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.

Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he’s filled with joy.

With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.

So, no, I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. I’m on his team, and now you are, too.

I love you and I always will.

Mama

Aaagh, always makes me misty eyed. :haha:

Im doing all that stuff.

Childhood is supposed to be magical and i want them to beleive as long as they can. Obviously one day they will find out the truth but that wont take away the magic from the previous years

Christmas got a little boring once my son turned 11, that was his last Xmas of believing and turned into just a normal Christmas list instead of writing to santa. We've always sprinkled reindeer dust so santa knows where to stop, put carrots and water out ect. I tgi k a lot of it is for the parents really, I look back on those Christmas Eve's of my now teenager and it makes my heart swell!!
He found out from friends eventually, quite late really but then I got unexpectedly pregnant so I get to do it all again yay!!!

Finn is 5 and he came home last wk saying people at school said santa isnt real. He was disgusted in them! Bless him

I think its a cute tradition and fully plan to do Santa with Claire. I remember seeing this out there and I think when she asks if Santa is real, I plan to use this:

Dear Lucy,

Thank you for your letter. You asked a very good question: “Are you Santa?”

I know you’ve wanted the answer to this question for a long time, and I’ve had to give it careful thought to know just what to say.

The answer is no. I am not Santa. There is no one Santa.

I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Daddy helps, too.)

I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the Christmas magic stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.

This won’t make you Santa, though.

Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.

It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you can’t measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.

Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he’s filled with joy.

With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.

So, no, I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. I’m on his team, and now you are, too.

I love you and I always will.

Mama

Aaagh, always makes me misty eyed. :haha:

Beautiful. Love it.

of course! theyre kids, they deserve a world full of magic! we need to treasure these moments while tgey last!:)

I plan on doing Santa etc with LO. I can remember how magical it was when I was a child and I can't even remember when or how I found out that Santa wasn't real!

cant wait to do santa

when we each turned 9 we were told this was our last year of santa as there were so many new babies that santa had to visit. santa hands a magic key to parents at 9 years old and then the parents become the christmas guardian

:D

We are absolutely doing that with our kids. I wish I still believed in Santa!! Christmas was so much more magical. I still love it of course, but it's just...different when you're a child and believe in Santa. I remember going to bed and listening for the sound of his sleigh on our roof...and looking out the window to see if I could see him go by. I definitely want that for my kids.

We kind of do it. We 'play' at santa. The kids know it's not real but it's a fun game that we all play at. We keep the magic that way, but we're not lying to them.

I am the worst kind of parent of all, I even use it as a good behaviour bribe ;)

I am the worst kind of parent of all, I even use it as a good behaviour bribe ;)

My sister is a preschool teacher and she really milks the "santa" bribe during December! LOL

thanks for all the replies ladies. We're definitely going to do it, of course this year it doesn't matter but next year she might be starting to get it :)

I'll do all those things, except the Easter bunny. I don't think it's lying to your kids. Sometimes though, I think people take the naughty/nice to the extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->