Doppler over use - implications

TTC LADY

Reaction score
As some of you will have seen on my previous post, I got my doppler yesterday and finally managed to find baby's HB.

I've already used it again today, despite feeling little one kicking. It's just excitement of having it I think.

Is there anything such thing as Doppler over use ?, can it harm the baby as I heard that the soundwaves make a bit of a racket in the womb.

hey hunny, i use mine way more than i should too lol, and i was worried about this, so i asked my midwife who told me its totally fine to use as often as i like, it cant harm baby. so enjoy hun, i listen at least twice a day, it really helps me relax lol! xxx

I work for a Holistic Dr who doesn't really like ultra sounds and dopplers because the "sound waves irritate the baby" (examples of when the baby covers its face in an ultrasound or try's to move away)

Personally? I'm not sure .. I mean I'm sure they can hear them in there, but really you don't keep the doppler on the heartbeat for more than a minute (well I don't anyways) and I only use it a couple times a week. Oh yea, the boss don't know I rented one haha.

To rent a doppler in the USA you need a note from your OB as its classed as a medical device. The way I see it is, they wouldn't provide this note if it was harmful.

I think if you used it for hours and hours everyday then maybe so, but a few minutes a day wont do any harm.

I did and Brooke is perfectley fine :)

i think same like poloprincess, if u use for hrs on end then yeh maybe, but other than that there perfectley safe, there not the same as aving a scan all the time ...... also belive it or not but in a few wk u wont use it as much cos u will get used to LO waking up times etc xx

Lol, I just listed mine on eBay, she is moving around so much (and I know when she will wake up now) that I don't feel that I need it.

My baby hates it, which my midhusband says is very common, but I only listen for a minute or two at a time. I didn't bother last night, as she booted me so hard the cat leapt off my bump and I figured she was just fine ;)

Bearing in mind that hospitals have them attached for hours to monitor heartbeats at times, they can't be that bad. That said, the cub always kicks me when I use it as if to say 'go away!' so try not to use it toooo much!

I got one from Babies R Us and its rubbish! it said i can hear it from 21 weeks onwards and i cant, i know hes fine because he's always kicking me and i have it checked at mw so i hardly use mine at all, anyone else got one from there? x

I asked m y midwife the same question - whilst she nearly bit my head off for having one, she said it's not harmful to use it and I use it everyday.
As I know where to find the HB now, I do it for no more than a couple of minutes and I think if you restrict yourself to once or twice a day for short periods, you'll be fine.
Mine also hates it so longer than a couple of minutes isn't an option. She goes wriggling right off once I find her, only hear her for a few seconds, but it's enough to help me sleep at night!

I think once I can really feel her, I won't need it as much.

I still listen to my baby every day, but like some of the other ladies have said, I know where to find him and so it's rare that it's on for more than about 30 seconds at a time. This morning he was quiet, so I listened and pretty much immediately he kicked it hard :D - I've felt other kicks before when listening, only very recently, and this was the first time I really got the impression he was saying turn that bloody thing off!

I didn't tell my midwife I have one, but a nurse in the EPAU when I was sent there with anxiety at 15+4 told me about them for home use, so I figured it would be ok. (I had read about other ladies having them but wasn't going to get one myself till I was more certain I would be able to find something.) So I eventually got mine after the first time the midwife listened, at 16+6. It's helped me actually enjoy being pregnant because the terror has subsided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->