Dose any one..................

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
Not completly the right section but i though they may be more people in here with advice.

Dose any one make there own cleaning products? Im wanting to stop using so much chemial cleaning products as it agrevates my astma but dont know where to start of what do use.

Any help would be fab:thumbup:

Sure..the best things to use, in my opinion, is vinegar, baking soda (as an abrasive cleaner),water, and lemons (or lemon juice). Half vinegar, half water in a spray bottle for windows and mirrors (I found using newspaper worked better than paper towels for effectiveness and no streaking. Same solution can be used as an all-purpose cleaner for things like the kitchen counters, bathrooms, etc.... can even use it as a laundry detergent. Here is a link with some info on it.

https://www.thenewhomemaker.com/vinegar

And another very general link on lemons, vinegar, and baking soda:

https://housekeeping.about.com/cs/environment/a/alternateclean.htm

Those are the 3 main things I use but you can google more on the subject and get ideas from it. I like being able to clean without having toxic chemicals in the house. Better for me, better for my family. It also costs less money than investing in all those toxic chemicals and once you have a system sorted, it is just as easy as using the other stuff.

i also use vinegar and baking soda!! never tried lemons but i keep meaning to :)

I add a glug of white vinegar to my washing machine in the conditioner drawer. Softens the washing and your clothes won't smell of vinegar!

I've just bought some citric acid off ebay to descale the kettle and the toilet.

ooh yeah i use vinegar to soften my nappies!! uick q tho (sorry to hijack) is distilled white vinegar the same as white vinegar as thats all i can find!!!

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I use cheap, cheap, vodka to clean bathrooms. It's a disinfectant, and shines everything up nicely! I recently saw an American actress that said the same thing, so now I don't feel so silly.

Ooh, and it's non-toxic and doesn't have a smell when you clean with it!

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I use cheap, cheap, vodka to clean bathrooms. It's a disinfectant, and shines everything up nicely! I recently saw an American actress that said the same thing, so now I don't feel so silly.

:rofl:Id be taking a swig of it every to mins while cleaning and end up pissed.

lol i never thought of that but what a good idea!

:rofl:Id be taking a swig of it every to mins while cleaning and end up pissed.

That's why you buy the nasty cheap stuff!! :winkwink:
I read about it in a book years ago and I've not gone back to regular cleaning products ever since.

ooh yeah i use vinegar to soften my nappies!! uick q tho (sorry to hijack) is distilled white vinegar the same as white vinegar as thats all i can find!!!

Yes, distilled and white vinegar are the same, no worries! :)

Wow i think i might start using these appart from the fact that i spend a fortune on cleaning products i do worry about Tabs touching things after i've cleaned them :(

Do make an anti-bacterial cleaner could i just add some tea-tree to the mixture?

I use cheap, cheap, vodka to clean bathrooms.

Ha, I'd try this except we don't drink at all and I think my hubby would worry about me if he found cheap vodka stashed under the sink!!!

Lol same here! We did have some cheap vodka left over from a party a while ago, and I would have tried cleaning with it had we not had a friend visit last week and down the lot! :dohh:

Actually, I used to clean a lot of stuff with isopropyl alcohol - it's amazing for windows with a splash of washing up liquid and some water in it. Suppose it's just the same really!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->