Doula or no?

Belbaby

Reaction score
My husband and I will be having our baby at the hospital with the help of a midwives group we are working with. I like them very much and feel they will support what we want. We are hoping for a natural birth, no drugs, etc. But do want to be at the hospital should something go wrong or if I just can't do it naturally as I have had chronic back issues for years.

I have been talking with and met a couple of doulas and like them but am still unsure if I want to hire a doula to work with us or not. I'm a very private person when it comes to such intiminate things and I think I would be much more comfortable if it's just my husband and I doing it aside from the midwife/nurse that will be in and out.

My question is has anyone done similar? Used a doula? Not used a doula? For a natural hospital birth? I feel if my husband and I are fully prepared (we are taking classes and everything) that we can do it together ourselves. But I've also read many pros to using a doula. So I'm undecided right now.

Thanks in advance.

ive had 2 hospital births without doula's if my OH couldnt be there i would likely have a doula as my mother is overseas and cant make it. I guess it depends how your husband copes seeing you in pain and deals with that without letting his reaction affect you or stress you out.

Get a doula!

I was planning a birth center birth and had hired a doula - since been transferred to hospital/OB care because of creeping blood pressure and they tried to induce me last Monday.

I spent about 8 hours with some really strong contractions every 1-3 minutes, and my doula was AMAZING. Even my husband was like 'ok, I get it. I'm so glad we have her!'

I don't have my baby yet (induction failed and being a natural birther I refused further proceedings), but I feel much more confident going into labor knowing she'll be there.

See, when I was having a contraction, my shoulders would go up and my eyebrows would tense, and she would touch my shoulder, then put a finger between my eyebrows and I would relax and the contractions would be much more tolerable. She knew how and when to talk to me and when to apply counter pressure, and it was AMAZING. . .she helped me find other positions, helped me relax (because I was exhausted, it was 3 am after all!), and kept me in good spirits.

You won't regret having a doula. . .

I have hired a doula. I think that it is not just for myself, but for my husband as well. As my doula said, my husband will witness 2 births, those of our children, he doesn't know anything about birth, he isn't trained in birth, that is her job. She will be there for both of us during my labor. Having gone through labor once with just my DH, mother and MW, I know she will be a huge help for both of us. You never know what labor will throw your way, and my DH had no idea how to help me during my labor with our son, but my doula would have.

Of course doula! ;)

In all seriousness, as FAB as my last birth was.... I am positive, with hindsight, that it would have been even better had I had a doula. The MWs were WONDERFUL. There were some small things that they did or didn't do that I didn't "correct" at the time (being tired, overwhelmed, distracted etc.) My mum and DH were in the same boat in that regard. A doula would have been able to speak up for me, make sure my voice is heard. That can't be under-valued, IMO.

Next time, I WILL be having one.

I plan to do it the old fashioned way at the hospital - but my gynie is awesome so I don't want to give him up - but if I was planning to use a midwife, I would do it exactly this way with a midwife at the hosp. Just my $0.02.

My husband and I will be having our baby at the hospital with the help of a midwives group we are working with. I like them very much and feel they will support what we want. We are hoping for a natural birth, no drugs, etc. But do want to be at the hospital should something go wrong or if I just can't do it naturally as I have had chronic back issues for years.

I have been talking with and met a couple of doulas and like them but am still unsure if I want to hire a doula to work with us or not. I'm a very private person when it comes to such intiminate things and I think I would be much more comfortable if it's just my husband and I doing it aside from the midwife/nurse that will be in and out.

My question is has anyone done similar? Used a doula? Not used a doula? For a natural hospital birth? I feel if my husband and I are fully prepared (we are taking classes and everything) that we can do it together ourselves. But I've also read many pros to using a doula. So I'm undecided right now.

Thanks in advance.

I think doulas are great for SOME women. However, theyre defo not something I feel I need or want. My main reasons are I know what I want, and I know my mum and my OH also know exactly how I want my birth to go and I trust them to help me stick to my wishes and as my mum and I work in a hospital setting, we're not afraid to stand up to healthcare professionals if they try and push me into a situation. It helps that I've done it all before too.
Also, I don't want another person to be there. Birth for me is very private and personal and other than my mum and OH, i only want the bare number of MWs to be there.

Thanks everyone. I think we are going to go about it alone. Just the more I think about it I think I will be much more comfortable that way.

If you feel comfortable with it. I had one with my first birth, and it wasn't for me at all. I felt weird, but I was really young. I probably would appreciate it more now that I'm older. She was just there for support and rubs your feet and stuff. My mom was in the room too, so maybe I was feeling guilty for "replacing her". I don't know. Do what's best for you hun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->