Doula

Holldoll

Mom of 1 Princess
Reaction score
What was your experience with one? Did you have labor? Postpartum? or Both?

Thanks!

It's kinda like an extra support coach for both the woman and her "coach." She is there for the labor and helps with breastfeeding. If you do a search on google for it you can find lots of information about them.

We just hired a girl at work who is a Doula. I'd be curious to know what others experiences are with them. I am not sold on the idea yet

Very Expensive! i looked at a website! and almost died of shock!
I'd rather have my hubby and family than some strange bod!

I think here in CA they run about $800-1200. How much were they where you were?

I think they're great if you don't have your family and friends close by

Statistically having a Doula gives you a lower risk of an assisted birth or c-section (read that in a Mother and Baby Magazine at the weekend). I can imagine they'd be a great support during labour and could offer advice or suggestions post birth, especially if you've got some rellies saying "I did this and it never hurt him/her/you" etc.

I met my midwife and she is going to work as a doula, her husband is the OBGYN and she doesn't have "rights" to work at the hospital as a midwife, so she can be a doula, this way *I think* insurance will cover it as well.

I love my husband but he doesn't deal well with other peoples pain. When I was attacked by a dog, he was a worse stress case than I was.

If I could afford a Doula I would definitely hire one. Especially if it was my first child. My friend has just qualified as a Doula and talking to her I know if I met the right person it would be a tower of strength during labour and birth and in those fuzzy days post natally when you're so sore and tired and overwhelmed.
I think having someone with knowledge of birth present at yours would be good - like if the MW says I'm going to break your waters or I'm going to increase the drip to bring on contractions - how many of us know when you ask "can't you leave me for another hour to see how I progress etc", I just agreed to everything they said with my DD whereas from going over my labour and birth with my (new) friend who is a MW she was saying "next time you should ask if they can do x, y, z etc".

Hi ladies, I'm reviving this older thread in hopes someone can share their experiences. I have been working with a doula for a few months now and she'll more than likely be in the delivery room along with my OH. Anyone one else have any stories about their doula experiences before/during/after birth?

Thanks for reviving this! I've really been researching it more as I just learned that my OB is switching to a group practice and may not be the one to deliver my baby! GRRR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->