Doula ?

Komatsu

Reaction score
Hi Ladies ,
I'm expecting my second in September and am hoping to have a unmedicated labour and delivery with as few interventions as possible . I will be delivering at the hospital with a midwife , while I would love a home birth it's just not feasible where we are living at the moment .

I've been considering hiring a doula for this birth but am still unsure about it . For those of you who have had a doula for your birth was it worth while ? What did they do ? Do you feel it affected your partner ?

Hi :)

I haven't given birth to this baby yet, but I have a doula this time round and I think she will be an invaluable help to us all. She is someone I can turn to if I'm having doubts or a bad day and need some reassurance from someone who knows what I want when I've got my actual head on. Not the hormonal irrational one ;) Apart from my hubbie anyone else I might talk about it, would have their own opinion/judgement which would probably differ from my own (in my family/friend circle).

Regarding my DH, after out first birth being quite traumatic for us all, he does feel like he can relax a little and know she will help him help me. During my daughters birth we were left for long periods of time on our own in a room we were both uncomfortable in, and he didn't know how to help me.

Doula's are also like your voice, you discuss what you do and don't want beforehand, then when in labour and you need to focus on having a baby, they are your advocate.

I'll be able to answer your question better within a few weeks!

Didn't have a Doula, but use to be one. A Doula is just extra support. They can talk you through things, they can help with your emotions. They can physically help with massage and walking, etc. They are not a replacment for your partner, and if you feel the Doula is getting in the way then tell her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->