Doulas - Who has used them, who is planning on using one?

I'm also curious to hear opinions/stories/thoughts.

Following! I am considering a home birth and thought about a doula but they are fairly £££ in my area and wondered if I can justify the money and if they are worth it.

I go to a midwife practice that includes doula service as part of your care. Since it won't cost us anything (amazing, I know!) I definitely plan on taking advantage of this service. I didn't have one at either of my previous two births, but I can see how they can be very useful if you are trying to achieve a natural birth, or just need extra support during labor.

Brought up to my OB today that I'm considering a VBAC and she was all for it. She said I'm an excellent candidate for one because I've had vaginal births before and my son's prolapse is unlikely to happen again.

She said I don't have to decide right now but I should probably decide by Christmas so we can book a csection if I still want to go that route.

Another option she offered but said I did not have to take was to schedule a csection after my due date, probably around 41w1d. She says she will not induce without medical necessity and wants me to go into labour on my own. She also said that just in case of another true emergency, I'll need an IV in and will need constant monitoring, which I'm 100% okay with due to the traumatic circumstances behind my son's birth. Should ANYTHING go wrong, I'd say take me in immediately. No waiting this time.

But I'm definitely leaning towards a doula to encourage me through the VBAC attempt.

I had a somewhat traumatic birth experience with my daughter, so I am considering a doula this time around. Like snufflepop said, I hear they're pretty pricey, but I also heard insurance MAY cover some of them.

My OH was pretty useless in labour last time, but I feel I'd rather not have a support at all. I'm not one for soft spoken words down by my side when I'm hurting. If this was my first, i might have considered, but now im just going to let go and go with the flow! I feel I'm a lot stronger as well to let staff know my wishes and I'll be more in charge of my labour. I personally won't want it now, but heared really good stories of people using doulas to keep them calm & focused. They can be a great asset!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->