Down Syndrome

Sorry you've been given some confusion over it all, i dont think someone would of made that call and given you a risk factor if it wasnt there. But 1:78 isnt that high nor too accurate without the bloods anyway so people probably rightly arent that concerned. As im sure you know as well as me age and nuchal measurement cant rule anything out and i certainly wouldnt be able to forget it or disregard it completely knowing that, considering you werent planning the amnio anyway i think all you can do is keep your own opinion about it whatever that is and see what happens at your 20 week scan, if it shows nothing then i would take good comfort from that.

Thats exactly right, i mean my risk was defs 1:78, even when my GP rang the counsellor she said yes that's my risk but they just both agreed that it's probably not as concerning as it looks and the lack of bloods really confuses things.

My GP said on the phone to the counsellor that anything uner 3.5 is normal and he said she agreed with this. But I did mention to my GP that i know 2.8 isn't even that high but when she initially rang me she CLEARLY said "high end of normal" and my scan was only done at 11 weeks maybe 2.8 is high for 11 weeks or with my crown to rump ratio and 3.5 is more for people in 12-13 weeks. He just kind of said "mmmmmm" and that was it. lol. So i don't think he is even sure if that's how it works so didn't want to say anything incorrect.

So yes, considering i was never getting the amnio anyway i'm more than happy to wait for my 20week scan and look for some soft markers.

Considering having a down syndrome child doesn't bother me either way it looks like i'll not worry too much about it, but i definitely still don't want to put myself into a false sense of security and think that the risk was just a mistake or something.

Hi girls how are we all going. I had my 20week scan today.

I explained to the tech that I was rung with a 1 in 78 risk by a genetics counsellor but the report that went to the doctor said I declined any risk assessment so as far as my new doctor is concerned I have no risk at all. And as far as my old doctor is concerned I can't possibly be high risk because my NT measurement wasn't that big.

She said you can't possibly say my measurement is the only way to measure a risk. Smaller measurements CAN be high risk and I am one of them. But anyway she said she'll amend my current results to include my 12week risk so my current doctor will definitely have my actual risk.

That puts my mind at ease. I said I was worried that if I had 1 or 2 soft markers that if my doctor thought I had no risk she would brush the soft markers aside. But a doctor who knows I have a high downs risk might actually investigate a little further.

So that's ok news at least :)

Obviously the tech wouldn't tell me if anything was wrong but I was paying close attention and nasal bone was present, she murmured "normal" when measuring the kidneys. She said the brain ventricles were "good".

I might rewatch the scan later (I have a DVD video) and maybe scribble down some measurements and have a google.

I realize no one has posted to this thread in a while but I just wanted to throw my two cents in. I have a wonderful 3 year old son who has Down syndrome. I did not have aNT scan done because I was 22 and there was no reasons to. Everything looked completely normal on every ultrasound and there was no reason even think of DS. Well anyway, he was born and right away it was pretty obvious ... Surprise! :)
It was very hard in the beginning. We were so young and this was our first child. I just wanted to say though that having a child with Down syndrome has many ups and downs and can be really difficult at times. But it has taught me so much about love and patience and so much more. He has definitely changed our lives for the better, and I'm more than willing to share my experience with any of you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 33
I'm pretty okay with the prospect of possibly having a DS baby. Wonderful stories like yours make me feel better about it all the time.

Still no way of knowing now until baby arrives anyway :)

There's a long list of things that worry me more! Like my 1/24 chance of developing PE before 34 weeks.

Sorry to burst into your thread can i ask if any off you had the nipt/nipd and what it involves xx

I didn't have it... sorry.

The extra tests were too expensive or too invasive

Google Kelle Hampton- Enjoying the small things.

She's a blogger who's 2nd daughter was born with Down Syndrome unexpectedly, her story is amazing and beautifully written! Deffo worth a read if you have the time go back to her birth story of Nella.

Hope everthing works out well for you either way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->