Downs screening?

fairy_dust

Mum of 1 & 1 on the way
Reaction score
Just wondering who is and who isn't having it done?

I am only 26 I did'nt have it done with my son either I think it would be pointless for me cause I would'nt have the amo (needle in your belly test) done.
And if it came back high risk I think I would become too obsessed and it would ruin my pregnancy, plus when I had my son there was a woman in the ward with me with a perfectly healthy baby girl and she came back very high risk 90 something percent chance... so why bother?

Anyone else not having it done?

:hug:

i'm really considering not having it done for the reasons you mention. still to be decided with oh though...

I didn't have it done either. For exactly the same reasons as you, I wouldn't have had the amo done and also I just feel I don't need to know. If there was something wrong I would still want my baby, but I'd rather not spoil my pregnancy knowing bad news......What will be will be x

I'm not sure about it and I am an older mum-to-be. DH wants it done and would probably want to terminate if it came back as down syndrome. I really don't think I could do it even if I was bad news, my child is my child and I'd love him or her no matter what.

There is no way that I am going to do it. I am also 26 and see no point at my age. I didnt do it with my son either. My doctor told me that at the 20 week ultrasound you have more of an idea if things are developing normally too. I will just wait until then to see what the ultrasound says.

I would love my child no matter what.

i didn't have it done with my daughter and will not have it done with this wee one either. I feel there is no point as even if it did come back high, i wouldn't have that needle in the belly thing done. So i don't see the point of having added pressure of blood tests that come back showing something for everything to work out ok anyway x

I'm with you hun - I wouldn't have it done for exactly the same reasons. I'll take what nature gives me and love my peanut the same so I don't see the point in ruining the experience of being pregnant :)
Everyone is different though, I suppose it depends on whether you would continue with the pregnancy after the amnio - if you wouldn't have that then I wouldn't worry yourself!
Good luck to you & your peanut whatever you decide! xxxxxxx

im not going to have it done because i would not terminate anyway so i would not see much point, good luck with whatever you decide xx

I was not planning to have it done, because it would not have made a difference in what we would do, but my doctor said that the first ultrasound is at 20 weeks, and I don't want to wait that long, so we are doing the testing so that I can see my baby in 2 weeks instead of waiting 10 weeks.

We're not going to have it done. Like most others, if it came back high risk, i wouldn't risk having to amno done anyway, so don't see the point. It would cause too much stress for the rest of the pregnancy. I'll love my baby no matter what.

I did it with my last pregnancy and I have an appt on monday for this one (Im 36)

I had it done with our first pregnancy. Sometimes I wish we hadn't. At 12 weeks, when they did the nuchal scan, they told us we were high risk for downs. At 15 weeks with the amnio they said there was no change. At 17 weeks we were told our baby had a chromosomal abnormality and wasn't going to make it. At 18w, we lost her. I wish, I *wish* we could have had some kind of enjoyment in our pregnancy, but after having that test done, all we did was be scared, worry and fret for the remaining precious time that we had Elizabeth, until the day she went to the angels.

Will we do it this time? I want to, my husband doesn't. A friend of mine is refusing to have it done, because she doesn't want the fear that the doctors put in us. A fear that is much alive for this one.

I hope things work out for you. And if they say the only way to do it is by amnio, say no. That is the most painful thing I've ever gone through, outside of labour itself!

I'm not planning to have the test for the same reasons as others give. I wouldn't have the amnio and wouldn't want to be left worrying when everything might turn out OK in the end.

This is something I have thought about a fair bit as I work with children who have special needs. At the moment I spend three hours every day with a lovely boy who has very severe DS. I also won't have the test done for the reasons that others give above. If my baby is born with a difference of some kind, I'm sure we will be able to cope with it, partially because of my line of work!

I'm not trying to scare anyone with this next piece of info, but think it is good for people to know: I have worked with many families who have been torn apart by a difference in their child, whether it be DS, ADHD, CP, or ASD (these are the main special needs I've worked with). BUT I have also seen families who are very strong and determined to make the life of their child/children with special needs as 'normal' and full as they can.

If I were going to have a test done, it would be so I could get prepared and be able to be a great mum to a wee one with a difference.

I will not get the choice- they do not do it in Japan- while they might know either way they do not give you the results.

I spoke about this with my GP and she said due to my age (24) she didn`t think it was neccessary anyway.

MW asked me this yesterday and I said I'm undecided as I just don't know what I think at the moment :( I've given DH all the leaflets to read so that he can make his decision aswell. I'm 32 so my head says maybe I should but my heart says "would it really make a difference whether I knew or not". I think I'm going to have to think it over for a couple of weeks.

I had mine done yesterday just gotta wait 14 days now for the results!

Im 25 and with both my son and current pregnancy I had the screening and came back with very high risk for downs for my son was 1 in 10 and current 1 in 4. I had amnio and was fine both normal but I do wish I hadnt had screening now....

The doctor seemed to suggest that I didn't need to worry about it cos I was under 35. Not really thought about whether I would have it done or not, assumed they would do the blood test as routine anyway.

Guess I will have to discuss with hubby and see what he thinks, the result would affect us both, so we both need to decide.... I think I'm leaning towards agreeing with the majority here, we'd love him/her anyway so would it just stress us out for no reason???

I had my 12 week scan and I needed to take blood to test a few things one of them including DS. Doctor said he will discuss the results with me in 4 weeks when my next scan is due....

Im now considering telling him I dont want to know the results, I would never terminate my pregnancy and I don't want the extra stress over something like this, like some of you said sometimes they say your high risk and then you have a normal and healthy baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->