Down's Syndrome

I'm not the mum of a child with down's syndrome but I just wanted to butt in and say that I teach in an ordinary comprehensive secondary school where we have two kids with downs. With the help of their learning support assistants, they integrate really well at school. They're both reading and writing and have great senses of humour. They make the school a better place to be because they bring out the kindness in the other children. They both love school as far as I can see. Just wanted to share a positive story.

I don't personally know anyone with Down Syndrome but I wanted to share an experience I had.

Quite a few years ago I was in McDonald's or someplace like that and I went to refill my drink and there was a man with DS I want to say maybe in his 20's. He was there before me but he backed up gave me a smile and tipped his hat to me and let me go first.

It has still left an impression me after all these years.

That sounds great,

We had the difficult decision between sending her to a mainstream primary school and seeing how she got on but risking her losing vital time which she could be in an environment where she's getting the right care she needs!

In the end we entered her into the nearest special needs school and she started in jan at the age of 3 and a half, she seems to be doing really well so we'll just see!![/QUOTE]

I understand completely! It was so stressful for us to make the decision to. Ultimately, we looked at what would be the best fit for Christian. We wanted him to be in the best environment for him. I'm all for a big fish in a little pond! The only thing I hate is the ongoing germs & sickness that seems to get to him and all of us!

So happy things are working out for you too!

Hi Lexie :flower: my name is Claire and my daughter was born with Down Syndrome 5 weeks ago so im joining here to learn from others like yourself who have more experience :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->