Dr and Midwife have differing approach to an issue what would you do?

daniyaaq

Mom of 2 girls and 1 boy
Reaction score
So I have shared care between my family doctor and the midwife and have a situation which they both seeing differently.

16weeks 3 days today and both spoke to me with different care plan.

I been having braxton hicks for 3 weeks now. Few here and there normal but lately I’m getting quite a lot in a day. My first thought was perhaps infection. As I was booked to see midwife today, I went to Dr last week to get urine test so that midwife has results back. In addition to this I’m having random increase in heart rate few times in a day.

Urine test results no sign of infection. Midwife did another test in office no sign but there was sign of blood in urine.

Midwife - possible anaemia, my iron has been low and taking supplements. I’m also slightly pale so she said, I can organise referrals for iron studies and full blood exam in week but if Dr can do sooner go ask her. Monitor if the BH and heart rate go same time, I’ll organise an ultrasound in a week and we check cervix etc.

Dr - so I called dr office and asked for said blood test referral, dr called and said maybe take antibiotics just in case because there’s blood in urine. Will refer you for halter monitor to see what’s going on with heart, no need to do full blood work. Asked about ultrasound and BH, and response is see how antibiotics work first.

so ladies, what would you do.

If I was concerned about my health, I would want all the tests! Cervix, holter, complete blood panel.

I had overkill care at the end of my last pregnancy that I didn’t want, because I wasn’t concerned about myself or baby. But if something is worrying me I do want to see the test results are normal to put my mind at ease. Of course these HCP are way more trained than we are at deciding what tests are needed but they’re not perfect and can miss things. So I’d ask the midwife to do all she has ordered and then go with the holter from the Dr. Not sure about antibiotics if they don’t have a diagnosis, as they can just be tummy trouble sometimes and you’ve already got enough tummy issues to deal with.

I would want all the tests done as well! Even if it is just a UTI with blood in the urine having everything checked will give peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->