Dr said i have to stop breastfeeding

pooch

Reaction score
My daughter is 20 months old and still nurses a couple times a day. My dr said that the extra calories need to go to the baby not toward breastfeeding. Why cant i just eat more ???

Weird! I can't imagine that you would be using that many calories to feed her a couple of times a day?

I'm down to one feed a day with DS (he's 22mths now), neither the OB or MW have suggested I need to cut that out (although I do have plenty of extra fat stores that perhaps can be drawn on :wacko: ).

Absolute nonsense! Feed away!
Your milk may change during your pregnancy which might put your LO off but should be fine. i've never heard anything like it!
I don't understand how 'drs' can talk utter rubbish!
x

I agree with curly123. While I've never nursed while pg, I know several women who did, and even tandem nursed a toddler and newborn. Some docs are just so old school about some things! There's a great FB page called Beautiful Breastfeeding. Lots of pics, but full of knowledgable moms!

I would never take a dr's advice on this. I completely disagree. Many women are nursing pregnant moms! Eat an extra banana or something, and that will cover the extra calories. As long as you are eating healthy, you will be fine. Your body was made for this....it knows what calories need to go to baby and to nursing. Consult a MW or lactation consultant if there's concern...they see women all the time that are doing waht you are. I say continue what you're doing, and enjoy;)

At only eight weeks pregnant, you actually don't need any extra calories right now anyway.

Your doctor is giving you poor advice. I have a 15-month-old who feeds a lot more than twice a day, and my midwife and doc have said it's great I'm still able to breastfeed!

Agreed with whats been said! Get a second opinion? I nursed my son til he was 20m and i was 20 weeks!

No way!
I´m still nursing my 22 month old, my DR saw me in the waiting room and never said a thing about it. My midwife asked how long I breastfed for I said I still am, she said nothing just made a note of it.
My mum had 5 children within 8 years and didn´t stop feeding during pregnancies.
Your body will let you know if you need extra calories. I´d be quite happy to loose a few at the moment the amount I´m eating to be honest lol but the weight loss/breastfeeding thing never worked for me. xx

Are you in the third world where food is scarce? No?! Your doctor is then full of shit.

There are many challenges to nursing through a pregnancy. Supply drop, lack of let down, sore nipples, contractions when feeding. Most of the time it is perfectly safe to continue nursing as long as your toddler wants to continue.

I nursed DD all the way through my pregnancy with DS. I'm nursing DS now. Part of me hopes he will stop soon but if he doesn't I'll continue and will tandem nurse again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->