Dreading my boy starting school in Sept

familygirl30

Reaction score
My son turned 4 in June and two weeks later his baby brother arrived 10 weeks premature. I've always dreaded the day he will start school, it still seems so young. Each day now i just want it to slow down and just want to cry when school is mentioned, Im not showing any negatively to my son I'm encouraging it and saying all positive. I just keep thinking what if he's in the playground all on his own etc. He's alot more confident with adults than he is children he is shy with kids and wont just go up to them and play. I hope the confidence will come once he's at school. Anyone else dreading it or is it just me that's crazy!

Aw! There'll be an adjustment period but he'll be fine. :)

My son is starting school in 2 months (we start at 5 in NZ), but I'm really looking forward to it. He's been at kindy for a couple of years and now does school hours there every day so I feel he's more than ready.

Even the shyest of kids make friends, don't worry too much, make sure you talk school up for him so he looks forward to it and thinks it's going to be a positive experience.

:hugs:. My DS is a July baby and he seemed so young when he started school, I felt like he wasn't ready and I definitely wasn't! But he is thriving there, despite having some difficulties academically; he enjoys school and is well supported. Schools have lots of different ways of helping children who are quieter and shyer, they will make sure he isn't left out :hugs:

My ds1 is a July baby and then started school the following September, I was not ready at all. Like you id recently had a premature baby and felt like everything was slipping away. I spoke to his new teachers about how much I thought he'd struggle and how he'd cried and had tantrums at pre-school and they helped loads in preparing him. My son however took to school so well his teachers were amazing and he's made such a wonderful group of friends.

I'm sure your lo will settle in well and will love it there. I hope your baby is doing well too, massive hugs

I'm sure he'll be just fine. I find that outgoing kids are drawn to shy kids as when you get lots of outgoing kids together their personalities can clash.
My friend has a shy 4 year old and she is one of the most popular kids in her class.

Mine is a September baby and although she'll be the oldest I don't want her to go either. She is a confident little girl but I worry the 'politics and rules ' of being in school may change her character. Girls can be mean and I get upset just thinking about that. Plus I don't want to lose her first while days a week. 4/5 is far to young!

I really feel for you as it's a lot to go through all in one go! Those first few weeks with new baby and a big kid too look after are hard and having a premature baby must have made it tougher. I'm sure everyone is right and your son will love school and you'll get a bit of a rest and time with the new buba. Just to give another option though it's worth knowing that compulsory school age is 5, so you are entitled to keep him at home until he's 5 or send him to school part time (eg. just mornings) or even keep him at nursery until he is 5. It sounds like you're all set for him to start school but just thought I'd comment as not everyone knows there are other options xx

My son is 5 in October and therefore starts school next Tuesday.
He is a very confident boy with adults and children alike but still I worry about him starting school. It seems such a huge step in his life. I think he is ready, so think he is fine. He can dress himself etc, write his name etc. However he can be very impulsive (hits others sometimes) and doesn't take too kindly to new rules/expectations which may be a problem at school.
It's the unknown fit them and if it's out first child off to school it's the unknown for us too. :-(
I feel unprepared emotionally, but have no idea how to overcome that?

I really feel for you as it's a lot to go through all in one go! Those first few weeks with new baby and a big kid too look after are hard and having a premature baby must have made it tougher. I'm sure everyone is right and your son will love school and you'll get a bit of a rest and time with the new buba. Just to give another option though it's worth knowing that compulsory school age is 5, so you are entitled to keep him at home until he's 5 or send him to school part time (eg. just mornings) or even keep him at nursery until he is 5. It sounds like you're all set for him to start school but just thought I'd comment as not everyone knows there are other options xx

The is something I've pointed out to my friends with summer born kiddies. Mine are both September so we don't really get the benefit. I wish there was some flexibility to the system, 5 days a week is just getting them up for adult hood at 4/5 years old. I'd love mine to be home for 4 days and school for 3.

My son is 5 in Nov so is starting next Wednesday. He is very ready for it and I think it will do him the world of good but I'm dreading it because he's not the most compliant child in the world... He struggles with authority and chats back. I know that they will sort that out over time but I just think I wonder if they know what their getting themselves into 😂

He's the sweetest, most loving, most caring little boy but his behaviour is terrible at times. We shall see what happens :S

You pretty much described my son there (5 in October) school is going to be a big shock to his system.
The poor teacher doesn't know what's coming 😂

My son is 5 in Nov so is starting next Wednesday. He is very ready for it and I think it will do him the world of good but I'm dreading it because he's not the most compliant child in the world... He struggles with authority and chats back. I know that they will sort that out over time but I just think I wonder if they know what their getting themselves into 😂

He's the sweetest, most loving, most caring little boy but his behaviour is terrible at times. We shall see what happens :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->