Dreading transvaginal scan :-(

sunshine114

Reaction score
Got to have a pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal scan tomorrow because dr thinks I might have an ovarian cyst. Im dreading the scan! What if it's a male scanning dr person? Is it going to be really awkward? Can I request a female?

Hi I had to have a scan recently as well. I was also dreading it but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and it was over quickly as well. I was slightly uncomfortable for a few days afterwards though but nothing major. I'm sure you can request a female doctor. I hope it goes ok for you and try not too worry too much xx

I think it's likely to be female but if not you should be able to request a female.

I had a transvaginal scan as I had some bleeding and pain early on and it was too early for the abdominal one. I was dreading it as I have some issues down their anyway with pain and such but it was fine really. A bit uncomfortable at times but not worse than a smear.

The wand they use is about the thickness of a tube of smarties, they put a condom on it (for extra sterilisation) and ky jelly.

It's not all that bad. If its a male you could request a female tech. I've had them normally have me insert the probe then they get it to look.

Thanks for the responses, I've never had to have one before, when I was pregnant they just did a normal ultrasound at 8 weeks. Will be glad this time tomorrow when its all over!

It's not bad at all...I used to dread them but after having about a million during IVF got used to them :haha:

The doctors tend to be really discreet while inserting the wand (which is covered with a condom and lubed up), but if you're uncomfortable you can always ask for a female doctor or ask them if you can insert it yourself :hugs:

I have had one already this pregnancy and 2 before (1 with my son and 1 with my MC), and they aren't that bad 2 of mine were male but I really didn't think about it :hugs:

I've had loads. You can request a female! They do give you a blanket so you cover yourself.

I've never been uncomfortable during or after. I hope it goes okay x

Mine haven't been any big deal. No pain or discomfort, and I barely felt the wand anyways. It's a tad cold, but that's it.

Hope all goes well for you :hugs:

I've had several of these, my first also being for ovarian cysts. It seems really daunting but the whole process is generally quick and painless. You may feel pressure when they are doing it, but you shouldnt really feel any pain.

I've only ever had women doing mine, but you should be able to ask for a female if it is a male. That being said, they don't see anything really. As someone above said, you have a sheet to cover up your modesty and they then sometimes just have a quick glance to make sure they are putting it in the right area (because I'm sure that would be unpleasant as unexpected if they didnt :haha:) and thats it.

Thanks, I had it and it was ok, not exactly the highlight of my day or something g I'd like again, but it wasn't too bad :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->