Drinks of water

caggimedicine

Mummy to Harry
Reaction score
My mum has said a few times that maybe I should be giving Harry drinks of cooled boiled water every now and then, as he may be thirsty. Is this something I should be doing now that Harry is almost completely FFed?

I give Charlotte some most days, just a few oz. Sometimes I find it can help when she is unsettled but has already been fed.

:shrug: I always heard that you don't need to give them water, they get everything they need from the formula.. but really I can't see the harm in cooled boiled water.. and it makes sense if it's hot..

I asked my MW this as MIL insisted he needed water and she said he gets everything he needs from formula. I've tried to give it him anyway but he just spits it out. I think it's just up to you really hon. x

My mum had told me the same thing when Abbie was unsettled between feeds "she's prob thirsty, give her some water", so i did. Mentioned it to the HV too just in case i shouldn't be doing it and she said it wouldn't do her any harm and was actually a good thing coz it would help her get any wind up that was still in there from the formula.

you shouldn't give water to baby as a substitute for formula but it's fine to give it between regular feeding times.

I gave a little water to both of mine before feeds as unlike breastmilk - which has foremilk which acts as a drink. Formula doesnt have that. Its up to you though, i went on advice of my mum tbh who formula fed my sister and I.

I give Liss water. She will take it if she needs it and won't if she doesn't :)

I give jack a few oz a day otherwise he doesn't poo

Iv always given my children between feeds when it was hot, or if they were constipated.

never gave Hannah water until she was weaned :)

There is no need to do it, they get all the water they need from the formula. Too much water can actually be really bad for them, a small amount would be ok, but he doesn't need to have it

Thanks everyone. I think the general opinion is that it's not necessarily needed, but that giving water is ok, so long as it's not too much and they're not filling up on water when in fact they're actually hungry.

I gave Harry a small drink of water today as it was quite warm weather and he took it ok. He only had about 1oz.

i tried this and zane hated water and would just spit it at me lol recently ive started him on the odd drink of water but hes still no keen

luisa has water between most feeds since we went completly to formula..

hv and mw advised to stop constipation.. and in fact she doesnt seem to poop at all without the water!

I give Charlotte some most days, just a few oz. Sometimes I find it can help when she is unsettled but has already been fed.

Ive always given mine cool boiled water, especially when they are a little colicky or have an upset tummy.....works wonders and does no harm whatsoever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->