Dropping daytime feeds; 10 month old

dinosaur2010

Reaction score
Just posted this is the weaning section too:
My dd2 is just over 10 months. She is not really interested in solids. Tried many many finger foods- she will chew them and spit out. Tried jars of porridge, baby rice etc- she will sometimes have a few spoons then refuse. Tried homemade soups- these she likes so will have a small portion of. She is breastfed on demand throughout the day and doesn't go longer than 2.5 hours without a feed.
Today I'm starting to try and drop day time feeds and encourage her to eat solids. I want to stop feeding by the time she is 1.
So I've fed her at 8am when we woke up and she's just sleeping for her morning nap- luckily she naps in her pram so she was fine about no breastfeeds this morning.
Just after some support/advice/tips really on how this will work out! I will prob cave in and breastfeed her if she gets grumpy later I'm not very disciplined!
I was back working full time when my DD1 was 10 months but she took to solids really well and was on 3 meals a day and snacks by this time!

I have a 10.5 month old also. We're in about the same position as y'all - I was planning on stopping at a year old (which I did with her 4 older siblings), but this LG won't take a bottle at all and is super attached to nursing. I don't think it's going to happen lol. Her older siblings were taking a bottle since a few months old and transitioned easily to just getting their milk through the bottle.

She does ok with solids, she prefers table food - specifically, something that we're eating at the same time! She is in her highchair & offered (doesn't necessarily eat it) breakfast, lunch and dinner, and usually has a snack or two during the day - she also has a straw sippy cup of water, which she loves! But even if I offer her plenty of solids, she still wants to nurse. She signs milk and fusses, sticking her face on my chest, if shes tired, bored, or upset - even if she just had a meal.

Currently, she ALWAYS nurses multiple times through the night (we cosleep), first thing upon waking and to fall asleep (2 naps a day, plus bedtime). Usually, she also nurses a couple more times throughout the day too.
A few days just recently, she just nursed morning and 1 nap, because we were out all day, super busy, she was distracted and happy. She ate solids all day. I was so uncomfortable, lol, but she made up for missing her daytime milk by nursing all night long!

That tells me she can go without and be happy and full on just solids and water, but she's probably not emotionally ready to do it. As we get closer to a year old, I will probably plan a weeks worth of really busy fun days and hope that transitions us both out of daytime nursing. I don't for see us (her!) giving up nighttime nursing for a long time though...

I lasted till 1.30pm and she was scratching and grabbing at my boobs I couldn't refuse her! But that's the longest we've gone so far- 5 hours. So I'll do that for a week and then maybe try stretching it a bit x

No advice but we are in the same position. DD is 10.5 months and is a real milk monster. She didn't take to solids well at all, we tried finger foods, jarred food and home made and she just isn't bothered. I'm sure if I didn't offer solids she wouldn't miss it. She much prefers milk. I am getting a bit stressed as I go back to work in four weeks and I had thought by this time she would be eating three meals a day and snacks but she is nowhere near this. She also won't take a bottle and she won't take a cup!!! Argh!!

My plan is to really push to increase her solid intake for breakfast and lunch in the hope that I can bf her last thing before I leave for work then grandparents can do Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and then I can bf when I return at 4.15.

I had planned to wean around 12 months as we want to ttc no2 and I don't want to be up 3-4 times a night BFing while pg but it doesn't look like she is anywhere near ready and I don't want to force her.

People keep telling me that I should reduce the no of bf sessions and she will eat more solids but it feels wrong to refuse her the one thing she is eating so I haven't tried it. I hate the thought of her being hungry!

Sigh, I never thought it would be this difficult!

I know you all want to wean at 12 months but if you are dropping a bf session you need to replace with formula because milk should still be their main source of nutrition at this age.
If you think there are times when bf is for a little drink you could keep a sippy cup of water handy, and for comfort you could try a cuddle or distraction but milk intake shouldn't decrease and be replaced by food, food is complimentary and before 1 is "just for fun".

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->