Dropping milk feeds

Aphrodite

Reaction score
LO is almost 8 months old anfd starting to lose interest in his afternoon feed. Is it about the right time to drop a feed? What would you give if anything between meals as he has his lunch by 12 then dinner at 5, seems a long time to go with nothing.

My lo has just dropped the 11am feed. I give her a petit filous at this time then lunch at 12 ish. So you could try something like that.

Thats a good idea as its still milk based. Ill try tomorrow. Im so worried about him waking in the night hungry as hes such a poor sleeper anyway but if he wont take it then not much else i can do!

I was thinking about this recently. In my Supernanny book she says that by 9 months u want to be just giving breast or bottle feed at morning and night and the other datime feeds are replaced by meals or snacks. It seems a little young to me tho :shrug:

9 months!! Wow i thought it would be 1. I havent looked into it yet as we have only just dropped the 11am feed. I am looking for new ideas on the snack front. Toast with a little bit of cheese spread maybe.

Yeah she does suggest that the bottle would be 8-9 oz tho or 40 mins bf. I kno my lo wouldnt take that much in one go tho. Im thinking of maybe still offering small amounts of milk, say 4 oz, alongside a snack then just sticking to water at meals.

I was thinking about this recently. In my Supernanny book she says that by 9 months u want to be just giving breast or bottle feed at morning and night and the other datime feeds are replaced by meals or snacks. It seems a little young to me tho :shrug:

That seems pretty small amount. Of course all babies are different but mine's more interested in playing with food and still has 8-9 milk feeds a day and she just turned 7 months. Can't imagine only feeding her twice at 9 months...hopefully by the time she's a year old and I have to go to work that will happen but 9 months seems kind of young to do that.

40mins of bf??? My 7month old only feeds for 15 mins Maximum at a time. I'm not sure about the 9 month thing as I'm obviously not there yet, but you can't force it, so I'd just try to follow lo's lead. If you think he isn't getting enough milk, try to offer breast first and then solids maybe?

My baby dropped the evening formula before bed at about 8-9 months. She just would not take it, completely refused it for no apparent reason, but she quite happily scoffs a big petit filous instead which fills her up and keeps her asleep all night. She has been having 2 x 9oz formula bottles a day - one first thing in the morning and one mid afternoon. I am looking to move her on to cows milk as she is 1 in two days time. I would propose to replace the afternoon bottle with something else dairy based - yoghurts are perfect.

40mins of bf??? My 7month old only feeds for 15 mins Maximum at a time. I'm not sure about the 9 month thing as I'm obviously not there yet, but you can't force it, so I'd just try to follow lo's lead. If you think he isn't getting enough milk, try to offer breast first and then solids maybe?

georgia has never fed for more than around 15 mins either and i dont think shes ever taken more than around 6oz at once of ebm so surely they will need more ,smaller feeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->