Drug addicts, obese and alcoholics claim incapacity benefit

Laura2919

Team Twilight!!
Reaction score
What do you think?
Should they be entitled?
Do you think that these are classed as a disease?

With regards to obese people, I am not talking about those with a condition which means they are unable to lose weight.

:flower:

i dont because people with long term illness such as cfs struggle to claim it so why should they when thety can do something about it x

No simply. Yes they are unemployable but they are making that choice not to control thier lifestyle

However they rarely claim bcause of drug alchol dependancy it is to do with mental health problems and depression linked to the above conditions.

I do think they should be entitled to some sort of basic benifit. However not all these 'top up' disability benifits. They should go to people who really need them, who oftern are not getting them

I don't think they should be. I agree they should be entitled to the same as the rest of us but not anything else. I don't work hard so other people can take drugs and drink excessively.

My dad claimed incapacity benefit last year for his alcoholism and the extra money he got just meant he had more money to spend on booze. He died in December his body just couldn't take it anymore.

i think they should use the top up benefit money to put these people in rehab e.c.t instead of giving them more cash to fuel the problem

i think they should use the top up benefit money to put these people in rehab e.c.t instead of giving them more cash to fuel the problem

I agree completely, my dad was unemployable as the drinking made him so sick but giving him extra money wasn't helping him get better, he went to numerous doctors to try and go to rehab but they wouldn't admit him.

I think these people need to be helped not given more money to feed their addiction.

Feltzy my dads an alcoholic too :hugs: sorry your dad didnt get the help either, we have tried so many times :hugs: xx

I live in the US but people claim the same types of things here. For example, a patient of ours (I work in a dr's office) somehow got the dr to give her a form for handicapped parking that said she was permanently disabled and couldn't walk more than 50 feet without stopping to rest. Seriously?? She manages to walk all the way to the building, through the building, up the elevator and all the way to our office, but she is permanently disabled? That really irritates me. She is in her 20's and is obese. I don't see the problem. I, by the way, am also overweight but I don't think I'm entitled to anything because of it!

Another thing I hate is that people can claim social security payments for bi-polar disorder. I'm bipolar, I work a full time job. I don't like my tax money going to that, when they should be taking their meds and at least trying to work!

Sorry, rant over...

I just realized I didn't answer the original question. No, I don't think that those things should be reasons to get money from the government. They are classed as diseases, which I understand, but not every disease is a disability.

Basic benefits are fine, but they absolutely should not get extra payments.

No I don't think they should...not if thats how they choose to live their life and it will just encourage them more I think.
My friends dad who has severe crones disease doesn't even qualify for it anymore.
Benefit system here is totally messed up. x

I don't think they should, it doesn't stop there either - they will have housing benefit, council tax will be nothing etc etc and I know one person who was alcoholic that got an alcahol allowance each week on top of it all. it should be a case of rehab and regular testing for the addicts - in order to continue receiving support you remain drug free....

I know there's no real easy answer tho or it wouldn't still be happening today :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->