Drug free labour? Help.

N

NicolaWynne

Hi Ladies :flower:

Okay i really want a drug free labour.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice? Advantages/disadvantages?
Is it dangerous?

I dont even want to use a tens machine, just want to have my mum and boyfriend help relax me by giving me massages and possibly using aromatherapy. Also want to use a birthing ball. Is lavender a safe aromatherapy oil to use? How would i use it?

Any other ideas?

I haven't given birth yet so I can't speak for myself, but the likelihood of complications from medications is nil if you are going natural. All kinds of problems can come from them, plus you will have the sense of accomplishment of bringing your baby into the world like generations of women before you! :flow:

If you are prepared to go natural you will be better off imho. Just be sure you practice whatever techniques you plan to use, ahead of time.

i used a tens machine with both mine i didnt feel it intertupped the naturalness of the labour with either of them, i opted to because my DH wasnt there for most of my labours and first time i didnt want to be touched and second time i didnt either so it was the best option as i could give the same relief plus my DH doesnt think hes any good with massages anyway so refuses to even try

Ive been looking at massage oils to buy, i plan on having my boyfriend and mum massaging me for the entire time im in labour haha. I really hope i can do it without chickening out and using pain relief... i will be so annoyed at myself after x

well done for wanting to do it naturally. Just to say that I get nauseous when in labour so I can't stand anyone touching me which means massage is a no-no.
I had my 2nd baby naturally (unplanned HB) which is when I realised I could do it easily so had 2 more natural births after that.
I tend to zone out of everything to deal with the pain. I had one MW who helped me breathe properly and that made a HUGE difference.
I think you should have a birthing plan but don't beat yourself up if it gets too much for you and you want to change it x

After having an accidental drug free labour with my twins (drugs didn't actually work!) I would suggest that you should write your birthing plan stating that you don't want drugs and make sure that everyone in your delivery suite, especially your mum and boyfriend know that and will stick to it. But you must ensure you have a safety word so that you all know that when you say that word (and it has to be something really bizarre so that you don't accidentally say it) you are telling them you seriously do want drugs to help. Personally I am 100% behind Carron Keating who said 'I had a completely natural labour, i did the whole thing without any make up at all!'. I truly believe everyone has the right to a drug free labour or pain relief depending on their own desires but if you end up having difficulties and need pain relief you should not exclude the option now. Keep it as a fall back just in case.

you will be fine my love course it's not dangerous, its beautiful and your body will know exactly what to do. i had my little girl on the 2nd of feb, day before your due date : ] the only thing i wish i could change was to not be so scared in all the months leading up to the birth. in our society we're taught from the earliest age to fear giving birth, that it's a terrible thing and men are so much luckier cuz they dont have to do it. its so untrue though, its the greatest thing, and going into labour knowing that will help in letting all the chemicals in you do their work on making it as easy as possible. you can do anything in a day, and tomorrow too is but another day.. theres a quote and thats nearly it lol. enjoy every bit of the rest of your pregnancy, when it comes to the birth you'll do a great job and it'll be your story and you'll hold it close forever, along with your beautiful child xxx

I'd recommend a birth plan too. Perhaps a doula? Definitely have a "back up" to help you cope if it turns out that you do not want massage on the day, that way you have something else to turn to instead of meds. Hypnobirthing? Water? (bath, pool, shower?)

disadvantages of a drug free labour~??

I dont think there are any LOL!!

Seriously though...if you can go without it'll be better for you and baby, a touch of gas and air can help and doesnt impede the process of labour and wont affect baby at all.

Go for relaxation, breathing, movemtn and positionings water if you can its all fab and works!

Try some hypno techniques too.

i had a drug free home birth 12 weeks ago and it was the most amazing experiance of my life. i read ina mays guide to birth.
i did hypnobirthing on my i pod
i used jasmine oil during to smell ( used it on tummy towards end so my body related it to being relaxed) i will highly recommend jasmine such a relaxing smell
water (had water birth)
hot water bottle for back
i let my body do what it wanted i never pushed sort of speak my body pushed for me
i went into labour with no fear ( ina may descibes this in her book about fear causing pain) the sphincter effect if you wanna google
i had a birth plan which i can email you if you like. and my midwifes were the best ever because they are community midwifes they supported the natural home birth all the way.

Birth Plan For Home Birth

I would like to remain active and use whatever position I find comfortable. Please encourage me to stay off my back
I may wish to move throughout the house and to use the bath or shower from time to time
I would like to minimise internal examinations
I hope to manage using few or no drugs for pain relief, and would appreciate your encouragement to use other methods. For example, I might use movement, massage, relaxation, possible Gas and Air.
I do not wish to have an internal examination to confirm whether or not I am 'ready' to push. I shall only push when I physically cannot do otherwise! If there is any reason to suspect that I might have a premature pushing urge then I would like to discuss this on the day.
Please keep the room as quiet as possible during the second stage. I would like to minimise distractions at this time. If you need to discuss matters with the second midwife, please could you do so very quietly
I would like to give birth in an upright, kneeling, supported squatting or all-fours position to give the baby maximum space to descend through my pelvis. I do not want to be on my back or semi-reclining unless that position seems right for me on the day, having tried alternatives. If I am too tired to maintain an upright position then please encourage me to lie on my side instead of my back, to allow maximum mobility in my pelvis.
When my baby is born, please pass him or her straight to me
I would rather not be told how to push, or guided in the second stage, unless there is a particular reason to suppose that I need assistance, or unless I ask for assistance.
Please only administer an episiotomy if the baby needs to be born quickly. Please do not offer to do one to 'speed things up' for me, as I may be impatient then, but regret it later.
Please do not announce the baby's sex as I would like to find out for myself/I would like my partner to find out
I would like a physiological third stage with the cord clamped and cut when it stops pulsating. I wish no drugs to be used unless specifically indicated. It is important to me that you do not clamp the cord until it has stopped pulsating, unless you need to take emergency steps which preclude this. **Please do not pull on the cord or use fundal pressure unless there is a specific indication to do so, as I have read that this is contra-indicated in drug-free third stages**.
Please offer my husband the opportunity to cut the cord if possible
I would like to breastfeed my baby as soon as possible after the birth
I would like to keep the baby unclothed and close to my skin immediately after birth, to maximise skin-to-skin contact
Please administer an injection of Vitamin K after the birth

just in case Hospital transfer
I am very keen to avoid a caesarean section if it is at all possible, as I do not want to enter future labours with a scarred uterus. I particularly would like to avoid a caesarean just for slow progress. If labour is simply taking a long time but my baby is not in immediate danger, please would you encourage me to keep going and perhaps to try changes of position or movements which might help. Please do not offer a caesarean unless my baby is in danger.
If a caesarean section becomes necessary, I would prefer to remain awake with epidural or spinal block anaesthesia. I would like my partner to stay with me at all times, and would like to breastfeed the baby as soon after birth as possible.
Please do not give my baby supplements of glucose water or formula milk without my permission. I would expressly like to avoid having any formula supplements unless it is unavoidable, and certainly not in the first two days in any event.
Under no circumstances is my baby to be bottle-fed as this could lead to nipple confusion and hinder breastfeeding. If supplements are necessary, please give them by spoon or other method, not by bottle.
I would like to go home as soon after the birth as I am able to move, unless I or the baby have health problems which require hospital treatment

they were bulleted. and you may notice i did put i might want to use gas and air. i just wanted it in there so the midwife can have it in her car ready. good luck and thanks

I had a drug free birth and honestly, I couldn't stand anyone touching me. I had a fabulous labor and birth, but I found myself getting into a zone. I felt amazing afterwards and had no down time.
The ball didn't help me because my contractions were all in my stomach. I was most comfortable on my butt, using my arms to keep my pelvis off the bed.
I say, just trust your body and listen to it. You will find out how you cope best. Good luck!:hugs:

Thanks so much everyone.

Can anyone else elaborate on the whole delayed cord cutting idea? Im interested in this.

Ps i would like to use a birthing pool for the first stage of labour, not sure if i can though, i tested positive for group b strep on my last pregnancy, havent been tested this pregnancy though...

delayed cord clamping is because a baby is born with only a 3rd of its blood to make it alittle more compact.
clamping raises iron levels in newborns
you get that skin to skin with no fussing. so that special hour that can sometimes make or break breasfeeding is there.
delaying cord clamping could reduce the infant's risk of many illnesses, including respiratory distress, chronic lung disease, brain haemorrhages, anaemia, the inflammatory condition sepsis and eye disease.

also the baby get all the stem cells and clotting factors.

I had unplanned natural labor tonight. I was fully dilated when they were setting up for epidural. I was okay until she started coming out. I was already scares since it wasn't planned to be natural. I did scream when she came out as I usually don't. But if ur planning it and practice breathing u will do fine. I feel much better this time than with my first. My body even started pushing before they told me. Its just natural. And I told them I had to push and I did. If u can handle it, its so much better and its worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->