Drug free labour? Help.

I had a home water birth with no pain relief and I can honestly say it was an amazing experience. Yes it was intense and challenging, but I believed in myself and my body and I knew I could do it. I would say that for me, the biggest help was my positive mindset. I had no fear of labour and birth and as a result I went into it positive and relaxed, and my body did its job quickly and smoothly. My first stage of labour was 7 hours and my 2nd (pushing stage) was 20 minutes.
I also refused vaginal examinations. There was no need for them to constantly fiddle about up there and tell me 'you're 1cm, 2cm, 3cm...' All it would do is bring me down. I had the faith in my body to do what it had to do in its own time, whatever time that would be.
I didn't really want anyone touching me either, my mum and my husband held my hands while I focused but that was all I wanted. I needed my space to concentrate and I was in my 'zone'.
Two other things; make sure you move around and shift positions. It really does help move bubs down! And also make sure you keep hydrated. I actually threw up about 5/6 times during labour (God knows why) and I couldn't even face drinking water during it, but I ended up very dehydrated after the birth and it had quite a big effect on me - irritatingly I had to be transferred to hospital to be sorted out. Grr.

Thanks so much everyone, i feel so anxious/excited about going in to labour. I hope it all works out :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->