Due date confusions!!

leedsforever

Kerry!
Reaction score
Ok... Im just trying to get my head around the fact that only 4% of babies come on their actual due date.....
... and Im wondering whether.....

... some babies just take longer or less time to cook!!

.... or the conception date has been confused somewhere...

eg... some one due... say on my due date 28th august... conception date being 6th december!!! :)

Baby can come anytime from 37 weeks and 42 weeks so between 7th august or 11th septemeber!!

so if my baby came on the 7th august (wishful thinking:cloud9:) would it mean my conception date is completely wrong or just that she has matured quicker than other babies???

just curious guys :)

Babies come when they run out of space I believe? Don't quote me on it though.. :blush:

2 weeks before to 2 weeks after is when you could pop. You're considered fullterm at 38 weeks. I don't think anyone really knows what triggers labour. I don't think it can be just a matter of space b/c then why are some many born premie?

I think all babies develop at different rates. Some develop a lot faster, some develop a little slower. As for premies..I don't know.

I have no clue but i wouldnt of thought it would of been due to the conception thing, i dont think theres room to be that far out based on most peoples cycles.

I think its something to do with them "cooking faster/slower" lol

No idea hun, the day I thought I conceived is nearly a month before the date I was given by my mw. They generally get your EDD from your earliest scan I think which was totally different from the one the midwife gave me at my booking in appt and totally different to what I'd thought too!
Seeing as babies all grow at different rates and most EDD's are given from measurements, im guessing it can vary quite a bit?

Although I have absolutely no idea!

i read some where that the babies release a hormone when they are ready to go although i csnt remember where xx

Latest research shows that once the baby's lungs have matured they release a hormone which triggers contractions.

I wouldn't know why so few of them arrive on their due date. Suppose some need that little bit longer to fully develop while others dont. We're all different and babies in the uterus are all unique as well.

I've often wondered about this!

it's strange that dates can change so much - even when you know the date of your last period and the conception date and your cycle date etc

So long as I can have a quite christmas first I don't mind when baby arrives!!!

I have no idea, but Seth came exactly on his due date. My labour started on that day, and he was born on that day. It was bizzare, it was the one day I was convinced it wasn't going to happen because the percantage was so low!

I guess theres probably a hormonal reason or something behind it, but on my 11, 12 and 22 weeks scans the gestation was always pretty much spot on what it was supposed to be (Always came up 2nd June!) and the dtae the Dr worked out was only 2 days out from my period so who knows.

Its very strange, but hard to predict! I guess they just come when they're ready!

xxx

They just wait for the 'Ping' don't they?! :lol:

Charlie began his descent the night before his due date but ended up going overnight to the early hours of the day after. 30hrs later he was a little bit crispy. Hehehe. :lol:

Like everything in biology it's just not an exact science. I wonder how many women's periods are exactly 28 days always? The 40 weeks thing is an average of how long it takes to grow a baby so there will always be variation. I imagine the date of conception could account for a couple of days either side (unless you only have sex once a month it's hard to be sure and even then it could be a couple of days after that the egg is fertilised). But other things will no doubt affect the pregnancy leading to prematurity for example.

Hi There!

Great Question! I'd love to hear more opinions on it myself!

I think it really does depend on your cycle and what day you ovulate during your cycle. For example.. I have a normal 28 day cycle.. but I OV on the 18th day (4 days later than it is ASSUMED when doctors calculate my EDD).

So really, my EDD is off by 4 days because the day I OV is assumed wrong. So I should add 4 days onto my EDD to get a more accurate Result.

I think alot of women dont know the 'EXACT' date that they ovulate so when the EDD is out by like 2-7 days they blame it on the conception date.. but it might just be that they OV'd earlier or later than assumed in their cycle?? (I hope that makes sense?)

Also, On average it takes between 7 and 10 days for the egg to implant in the uterus.. you could have taken 10 days to implant instead of the assumed 7 days?? Once again you could blame your conception date on being wrong, but it may just be that it took a few extra days to implant.

These are a couple reasons bub may come out earlier -or later!

But as for babies maturing quicker and/or some growing faster etc.. I have no idea.. Would be good to get more suggestions from others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->