Dumb chicken question

A

AppleBlossom

I made up some chicken casserole last night, put a tub in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. I'm going to give her the one from the fridge for her dinner but I was wondering how long I should heat it up for? I know chicken can make you ill if it's not heated properly. I know there is chicken in jars and I've had no problem with that but this is fresh cooked chicken breast so I don't know if there is much difference?

I normally put it in the microwave (1000w) for about 45 seconds and then give it a really good stir to avoid hot spots. Takes ages to cool down but i'd rather she waited and made sure if was heated through properly.

I think as long as it's hot all the way through then it's fine.

Thanks, I normally put food in the microwave for 30 seconds but will leave it a bit longer just to check :)

with the frozen chicken, i tend to defrost it for 30 secs then cook again for about 45 too.

If you cooked the chicken fully through when you made it she isn't going to get sick, so just make it where she would like to eat it, however warm that is. I eat cold chicken out of the fridge all the time....but it was fully cooked before so its ok :)

You need to reheat until piping hot and then leave to cool until it's the right temperature. That goes for reheating any food regardless of whether its for you or children. Don't reheat until the right temperature to eat as this will not kill bacteria and this is how food poisoning happens:dohh:.

Look at this link babe, it may help :hugs:

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HealthAndWellBeing/HealthyLiving/DG_4002927

Thanks Hevz, my microwave is on the highest power setting and any food I heat in there is a lways piping hot when it comes out so I leave it to cool :)

I usually heat for a minute then cut it up and space it all out on a cold plate before I give it to him so it cools down quite quickly x

I would have it on for a minute, stir then put it back in for another min

Bacteria grows on food when it's between 5c and 60c, or multiplies rapidly then...so if food is properly handled, cooled quickly then it is ok to eat stuff cold..IF it was fully cooked prior. Of course if you want to be doubly sure then you can make sure you warm it to 70C or above and then cool it to where they can eat it. But if you are careful about it it's not going to give them food poisoning. I've never had it, the kids haven't had it and they've eaten stuff straight from the fridge cold before...but I'm really crazy about handling food properly. I have a knife and cutting board JUST for meats, I always make sure stuff is fully cooked through, they have never had anything but well done. But if your food was cooled quickly and you just warm it to where they want to eat it there shouldn't be a problem...but of course if you want to be more safe then by all means warm it more and then cool it for them. Just wanted to clarify after what I put and the responses following...I'm not chancing them food poisoning lol

I reheat similar things at work and after 2 mins, stirred in between its usually at 75-80degrees (have to take the temp before serving) but thats with a 1000w microwave.

If it was fully cooked once, it is fine to give her at any temp. I give Helena chicken out of the fridge all the time.

Bacteria grows on food when it's between 5c and 60c, or multiplies rapidly then...so if food is properly handled, cooled quickly then it is ok to eat stuff cold..IF it was fully cooked prior. Of course if you want to be doubly sure then you can make sure you warm it to 70C or above and then cool it to where they can eat it. But if you are careful about it it's not going to give them food poisoning. I've never had it, the kids haven't had it and they've eaten stuff straight from the fridge cold before...but I'm really crazy about handling food properly. I have a knife and cutting board JUST for meats, I always make sure stuff is fully cooked through, they have never had anything but well done. But if your food was cooled quickly and you just warm it to where they want to eat it there shouldn't be a problem...but of course if you want to be more safe then by all means warm it more and then cool it for them. Just wanted to clarify after what I put and the responses following...I'm not chancing them food poisoning lol

Basically I agree with what she said but was too lazy to type all of that. :rofl:

If I remember from my food tech class, it should reach 75c... but I never had a thermometer to check Bethanie's lol, so just did it for a couple of minutes until it looked steaming hot - then id test a bit just to be sure. Im always a bit wary with chicken..

Even after it has been cooked? Like what about a chicken sandwich?

I wonder if this is a culture thing?

Not in any way meaning to be rude, this just seems strange to me?

Even after it has been cooked? Like what about a chicken sandwich?

I wonder if this is a culture thing?

Not in any way meaning to be rude, this just seems strange to me?
Id have thought that the chicken being in the fridge would stop the bacteria developing, yet when you cook it to a certain temperature bacteria can develop again and needs to reach a high enough temp to kill it?? so if you didn't cook it enough, it could make you sick. I have no idea, thats just how i've always thought about it.
I would make a sandwich with chicken from the fridge, providing it had been fully cooked to start with and chilled quickly.

Oh ok, I guess that makes sense. Never really thought about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->