Dumb Running Question

angelic_one

Just me & my monkey <3
Reaction score
Hey I'm really wanting to get into running and think I'm going to race for life in July, dunno whether to do a 5k or 10k, I want a real challenge so I'm leaning towards 10k. I did the 5k a few years ago and ran it all. But what I want to know is how do people figure out how far they've ran? Do you use pedometers? I want to run say 1k next week and see how that feels to see whether I think I can work my way up to 10k or not. I also need to know for sticking to a training programme.

I'm so bad at distances I've no idea how far 1k is! :S

if your running on main roads you could drive the route first or if you dont drive try google maps. i think 5k is about 3miles

You could use mapmyrun.com or, if you have an iPhone, there's an app called imapmyrun which works like a gps system an tracks how far you've been.
5k = 3.4m
xx

Also, try the couch 2 5k plan - it's a plan which will build you up from doing nothing at all to running the 5k. You can do it based on time ran or distance. And there's a follow up programme called bridge 2 10k which will take you up to 10k if you want. Just google couch 2 5k to find it

You could use mapmyrun.com or, if you have an iPhone, there's an app called imapmyrun which works like a gps system an tracks how far you've been.
5k = 3.4m
xx

I've used this today for the first time to track my distance and time on walks. I really liked it ! Tells you distance, time etc and highlights on a map your route. You can store the info too to refer back to later

I use runkeeper pro on the iphone which also tracks your distance, speed, route etc. It is really useful to know what you have done.

Before i had an iphone i would work on times instead of distance. I've done the 5k a number of times and my average sort of time is 35minutes. So when out running i consider 7mins to be 1km if you see what i mean.
Obviously this isn't so acurate as sometimes you will run faster and slower etc but i think it gives a fairly good idea.

Thanks guys maybe it wasn't such a stupid idea afterall! Have downloaded the imapmyruns app on my boyfriend's HTC desire as Android have it too, now I just have to prise his precious phone away from him for my run. Easier said than done.

If not I'll just do it on time I guess!

Conina I shall look into that plan, it sounds good to me, thanks :) x

I'm following the C25K plan and in week 3.

I completed a few 5k and 10k races a few years ago then just stopped! I wanted to start with a plan that builds you up to running for 30 mins. I use the plan based on time rather than distance. Once I've go up to running for 30 mins straight I'll concentrate on pushing a bit further for a 5k (I used to average about 35 mins for a 5k and want to get back to that).

I use mapmyrun for planning a route. Plus there is a section on there (still free) that shows you other routes people have put on the site which is useful if you want a new route but don't know where to start.

Sorry for the huge post! :blush:

Just been for my run and used the app, it was great I was very impressed and it was nice being able to map how well as well as far I was doing, found it so valuable. Only thing is for some reason it wouldn't let me login on my bf phone so i couldn't save my progress. ah well.

Looked at the couch to 5k plan it seems like you have to pay for it? I think I'm going to try following the race for life joggers plan and see how i get on. Found it quite difficult today but I think I started off too fast. And I did manage to be fair!

https://www.raceforlife.org/pdf/5k_jogging training plan v2.pdf

You shouldn't have to pay just to get the plan - here's the link

https://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I know there's an app you can download which syncs with your music to tell you when to switch between running and walking, but just to work out the timings per work-out, you should have that for free.

Let me know if you can't get it - I have it typed up somewhere anyway

You shouldn't have to pay just to get the plan - here's the link

https://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I know there's an app you can download which syncs with your music to tell you when to switch between running and walking, but just to work out the timings per work-out, you should have that for free.

Let me know if you can't get it - I have it typed up somewhere anyway

Nah i can't get to it, everywhere I go it says 'buy this plan' :S

That app sounds amazing, almost worth getting an iphone for. I wonder if you can get the same thing on android :)

I've PM'd the plan to you - hope it makes sense now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->