dummies

marley2580

Reaction score
So Kaya is a very sucky baby and will quite happily suck on your finger for hours in between feeds. Yesterday she wanted to suck at the breast for ages, even though she wasn't eating, this has made me very sore. So, despite all my best intentions, today I bought a couple of dummies. I know that I'm not meant to give them until she's 6 weeks old, but I thought if I severely restrict their use - only after a feed or to get her to sleep (removing it once she's asleep) - then it would be ok.

What do people think? Has anyone else ever combined breastfeeding with use of a dummy? I got Tommy Tepee ones which are supposed to mimic the feel of the breast, has anyone else ever used these?

Tommee tippee ones look BIG - We have them if so lol

We use a dummy too tbh - when shes restless and sucking on our fingers ... Id rather she sucked something that has been sterilised than our fingers!

BTW I never knew the 6 weeks thing :shock: HV seen our dummies and said nothing!

I never knew the 6 week thing either? we used them as soon as she was allowed to come home (a week old).

Can't help much with the breastfeeding issue, but we have always used the Avent ones.

@Wobbles =- are you breastfeeding?

No she wouldn't take - we moved to teat 2 quite quickly too HV thinks I'd have had a nightmare! Had no sore boobs or leaking either NOTHING *sigh*

Both of mine would not take to the dummy.....

Jade just liked sucking on her bottle teat for a few minutes, so I used to put the lid in there and let her have that once she had finished her bottle (they don't do the lids anymore, they fitted on the bottle, under the teat to stop the milk leaking out).

Alfie will not have a dummy, if he gets tired or comfy he sucks either on your clothes (he grabs hold of a chunk of clothing and straight to the mouth) or he sucks on his blanket.

And Wobs, I was like that with Jade, I had no sore boobs or leaking....but it did happen with Alfie. x

Juleika also still wants a lot of comfort sucking and as I can't be a human dummy for her all the time I had the idea to give her a dummy as well.
but, she doesn't take it :dohh:
she only wants the real one :rofl:

read 'bout the six weeks dummy thing as well.
I think if she latches on fine and learned well how to drink from the breast, it shouldn't be a problem, but I am not 100% certain.

callum had a dummy from day 1!!! he screamed blue murder constantly as a child(still bloomin does!!!) tho i am finding it hard to wean him off his dummy!!!!

i used nuby's there like the breast( i breastfed till about 3 month)

Tommee tippee ones look BIG - We have them if so lol

We use a dummy too tbh - when shes restless and sucking on our fingers ... Id rather she sucked something that has been sterilised than our fingers!

I agree! Oliver has a dummy when he's restless also... i dnt want him makin his lil fingers sore. I cant see it really doing any harm hun :) x

You shouldn't give a dummy to a breast fed baby until they are at least 6 weeks old in order to make sure that BF is established and that there is no nipple confusion.

alright, I also found the dummy we had, was looking BIG and had the impression it triggers Juleika's reflex to vomit when it slips to far inside of her mouth, although it is size 0+

so, we bought another dummy yesterday, size tiny...

the same story :dohh:

looks like, I just have to keep up with being a human dummy :baby:

You shouldn't give a dummy to a breast fed baby until they are at least 6 weeks old in order to make sure that BF is established and that there is no nipple confusion.
Ahhhh I was thinking in genral its said 6 weeks lol That would be why she didn't say anything to me then :D

alright, I also found the dummy we had, was looking BIG and had the impression it triggers Juleika's reflex to vomit when it slips to far inside of her mouth, although it is size 0+

so, we bought another dummy yesterday, size tiny...

the same story :dohh:

looks like, I just have to keep up with being a human dummy :baby:
HAHA we have tommee ones that look massive but she likes it :rofl: we have newborn ones too MAM I think they are and they are ace just took her a lil while to get the hang of holding on to it :D

My first 2 had dummy to help them settle and they were breastfed with no problems. My third daughter was also breastfed but would not have a dummy to settle , so we had a lot of 'comfort nubs' as they became known in our house! Was not aware of the 6 week issue. Don't have a problem with dummies except when you see them in a preschool child and when you can't find one in the middle of the night...... Where do they go?????

Kabe was given a dummy when he was in hospital straight as soon as he was able to have his tube removed, Izzie was given one from birth too, we've removed both but still they were given them. i didnt know they coulnt have one :S

all 4 of my children were breastfed and had dummies from birth, with no problems.
i gave mine dummies as when i was growing up my neighbour who was a year older than me, sucked his thumb. i remember seeing him aged 16 with thumb in mouth and his snuggle pillow. this put me off of the thought of allowing mine 2 suck their fingers or thumb. so a dummy it was as i knew i could get rid of it.

Both of mine have/had dummies.

I didnt know you werent supposed to give a breastfeed dummie to a breastfeed baby till 6wks old. Callum had one from day 1 and he was breastfed, never caused any probs.

I waited till xmas 2 years ago to get nicole off hers, we gave them to santa clause. Never wanted one since!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->