Dummies?

kaylynn040485

Mummy to two girls
Reaction score
This is going to sound like a strange question but when can you start using dummies?

Me and OH have been going through our list today to see what we still need and i said dummies was one, OH answered with " oh i dont think newborns have dummies" Now we r lost as to whether to get them or not!

Its something i hadnt really thought about but is this the case, or does anyone recommend or not to using them?

Ive heard they can reduce cot death so this was why i had wanted to get some but now i dont know.

Kx

From what I've read it depends on whether you are intending to breastfeed or not. If you want to breastfeed they recommend you leave it a month for breastfeeding to become established before giving a baby a dummy. If you're not breastfeeding then I guess you could give them one straightaway - I'm going with the bf option so have only really paid attention to that.

As lulubee says, if you are breastfeeding they recommend you wait at least 4 weeks for breastfeeding to be established to avoid nipple confusion. If you are bottle feeding then you can use them as soon as you want to x

Thanks ladies, im hoping to bf so will leave the dummies then. Its just something i hadnt thought of, well done my OH!

Im also confused about dummies....... what are the arguments for and against? Are they seen as a bad thing or a good thing........... I dont really know.......

The against is apparantly they can change the shape of the babies mouth and I think delay their ability to talk (or something similar??) - can't remember exactly what though.

Also, the old dummies (that me & OH would have had as kids) could cause teeth to be pushed forwards, ending up with bracers being needed....

There are so many different types and shapes of dummies available now that I don't know whether the above has become outdated or if it was just old wives tales to begin with..!

This link has got some useful info about dummies:

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/dailycare/dummies&pacifiers/

I think I'll be using one from 3 months(ish) just before bed. I really don't like them, but if they help prevent cot death, it's worth it!

Im also confused about dummies....... what are the arguments for and against? Are they seen as a bad thing or a good thing........... I dont really know.......

Think it depends on your point of view if you they're a good or bad thing. Some people just hate the look of them (I might be one of them...)!!!

My thinking on the subject is that I'll see if my baby likes them after a month purely because they're supposed to help prevent SIDS as they keep the airway open. I only plan to use one at night and I'll wean him off them (hopefully) after he's out of the higher risk for SIDS age.

There are arguments against using them because they can distort tooth growth but I think that'll happen anyway if they suck their thumb / fingers?

x

I didnt b/f (Not a choice i didnt produce any milk at all) .
I gave both mine a dummy on the first night in the hospital lol , Layla wouldnt give hers up at all and when we went to wean her off when she was starting pre school gosh it was hard lol .
But Finnley we gave a dummy straight away allso and he can take or leave his now (He is 17 months old) He goes to bed etc without it with no worries , I guess each baby id different . xxx .

P.s laylas teeth are curved around at the top ! , Dentist assures me now she doesnt have one any more they should be ok , I do hope so .
I only have one set of dummies for night time with this baby just in case . x .

I plan on breast feeding but we bought 2 dummies "just incase" so we have them if we need them.

We bought Tommee Tippee orthodontic ones for 0-3 or 6 months...

Hoping we wont use them but figured that if we cant BF and baby cries and cries it may be the only thing to soothe them so got them.

Emma.xx

I think it's "misuse" of dummies which is damaging long term. I think they may have their use with some babies if they cry excessively, can't be pacified etc. Babies sat their quite happily with a dummy stuck in it's mouth annoys me and older kids too. If baby is happy and not grizzling, why does it need a dummy? I had one in the steriliser each time but never gave one to any of mine. They never cried unless they needed something and so I never felt the need to use it.

My friend used to get up about 11 times in the night to keep "popping his plug in" as she described it. Bugger that:rofl:. Mine slept sooooooooo well, I just hope this one will be the same. I'm not gonna say I won't definitely use a dummy this time but hope I don't need to.

Like I said, I do think they have their uses....but they don't need to be stuck in baby's mouth 24-7:dohh:

i detest dummies, my dd has never had a dummy and shes two now (y wud they want one if theyve never had one). my sis has 2 kids n 1 on the way and soon as they born she just shoves a dummy in thier mouth. i really dont c y. her oldest is now 5 n she still had her dummy at 3 and her youngest is now 3 and still has one. they r disgusting and must be full of germs, in my opinion i think they r more hassle than theyre worth (trying to get lo to give it up lol). i wont be giving this one a dummy either. ive also read that they hinder the talking process, faith is a great lil talker. my youngest neice's teeth actually go in the shape of the dummy, its weird. i would def say not to give a dummy if u do intend to breastfeed. i must admit they do look cute when newborns have them but when u see a 2 year old covered in dribble with a sore red patch on thier chin its justy awful. just read this back n it seems a bit harsh but i dnt mean it to sound like im saying you shouldnt give dummys. i think you should do whatever u feel happy with but it is just my opinion that they r horrible lol

I breast fed, bothg my daughters, the first i had a dummy just incase, and i needed it she was a screamer, it really settled her and the midwifes in hospital kept trotting back and popping it in her mouth when i was snoozing, and didnt cause any problems with the breastfeeding, second daughter i didnt want to use one as i was experiencing problems getting the first off them, came home and guess what yes i sent him straight to tescos for one, it took her a good 2-3 days to be able to keep it in her mouth but my second was straight on a dummy too, this time round ive stocked up on them, and my girls both dummy free now and youngest stopped having them when she was one, i praise dummies, infact my local hospital insists you have one packed in your baby bag!

This is almost as sensitive an issue as bf/ff. Hubby and I both feel strongly against the use of dummies. I want to ensure our LO's language development isn't hindered and reduce the risk of ear infections. There are other simple steps to help prevent SIDs, such as where to place baby in the cot, where to place the blanket etc.

I also feel strongly that using dummies can lead to lazy parenting. It doesn't always, many parents use dummies responsibly, but I see an awful lot of parents who don't.

It does also seem to interrupt parents' sleep a lot if they get into a habit of replacing the dummy every time baby stirs and cries out for it. I can't help thinking that the main reason it may prevent SIDs is that babies wake more easily when it pops out of their mouth, meaning they don't sleep as deeply.

But it is every parent's choice, just make sure you look into all the pros and cons and make it an informed choice.

Ooh, and just to add that I intend to breast feed for as long as possible and use of dummies has been found to lead to premature ending of bfing.

This is almost as sensitive an issue as bf/ff. Hubby and I both feel strongly against the use of dummies. I want to ensure our LO's language development isn't hindered and reduce the risk of ear infections. There are other simple steps to help prevent SIDs, such as where to place baby in the cot, where to place the blanket etc.

I also feel strongly that using dummies can lead to lazy parenting. It doesn't always, many parents use dummies responsibly, but I see an awful lot of parents who don't.

It does also seem to interrupt parents' sleep a lot if they get into a habit of replacing the dummy every time baby stirs and cries out for it. I can't help thinking that the main reason it may prevent SIDs is that babies wake more easily when it pops out of their mouth, meaning they don't sleep as deeply.

But it is every parent's choice, just make sure you look into all the pros and cons and make it an informed choice.

I completely agree. I have pretty strong feelings against the use of dummies, too. Having said that, if they're used responsibly and not shoved in baby's mouth 24/7 for no reason, then, well, each to their own! It's up to the parent, and everyone is different.

There are other simple steps to help prevent SIDs, such as where to place baby in the cot, where to place the blanket etc.
QUOTE]

I've read that dummies help to prevent SIDS by keeping the airway open. Using a dummy would be combined with other ways of reducing the risk of SIDS so I don't understand anyway?

I'd much prefer not to use one but if it provides a bit of extra risk reduction I don't see how I can justify not trying one with him once breastfeeding is established?

I'm intending to use one after the first month, there are plenty on the market now that are supposed to be better for tooth development and I think as long as they are not over used or abused then they can be a very useful and as Elm says it would be an extra line of defence against SIDS - along with other methods used.

I can see why some women are planning not to use them, but I don't think it's very fair to vilefy women who do use them when they are also doing what they believe is best for their baby.

My experience is this, all mine were bottle fed so far. My eldest had a dummy from birth and she was addicted to it until she was 3 and in nursery.

My middle child never wanted a dummy so never had one.

My youngest had a dummy for while during the day but since he was 1 he had it only at night!

Now my eldest who had the dummy addictively spoke at 11 months and never shut up. The other 2 that didn't really have them had delayed speech until they were over 18 months.

I am not big believer in the SIDS arguiament for having them. It can be a nightmare when they wake up every time they spit their dummy out so it is a pain.

I will be trying to bf this time so will wait for a month to see if I can bf and maybe use a dummy.

I've read that dummies help to prevent SIDS by keeping the airway open.

That is one theory, among several, but there has yet to be a definitive answer proven. By all means, if you want the extra reassurance then go for it. I have just personally found other research more compelling. But each to their own hun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->