Dunno if it's in my head or...

ZannahRain

2 by birth & 1 by heart
Reaction score
I can't tell if I'm concerned about this with merit, or if I'm just kinda paranoid... I'm already a special needs mom, (my daughter has Leigh's Disease) so that could play a hand in my paranoia too. :)

My son, Danté, is 5. He's a pretty cool kid, with energy and excitement that goes on for days. However, I can't decide if I think he's showing signs of bipolar, or if he's just a regular hyper 5 year old.

My uncle was bipolar, ended up dying of a heroin overdose. My younger brother (18) is bipolar 1... he has morbid hallucinations, he's never going to hold down a job, and he will never be able to live on his own. My son's father is bipolar, though he's still functional for the most part. So Danté could easily have it from one or both sides of his family.

But he's only five. And most of his behaviors and mannerisms COULD be manifestations of bipolar, or it could just as easily be that he's just a energetic, emotional completely average boy.

He sometimes breaks down sobbing when I have to go to work, and there's no way to console him. His father doesn't even make an effort though, and so he may be overly attached to me because that's all he's known.
He has a RIDICULOUS amount of energy almost all of the time. He wears me out just watching him. The kid literally jumps up and down when he's even a little excited. We have a theory that being still and quiet actually causes him physical pain. Hahaha. (Joking, of course. :) )
The littlest things can seem to trigger a complete 180 in his moods, but 5 year olds aren't really known for their emotional control.

Any advice or insight would be awesome. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->