dyslexia?

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
Lo is currently quite behind in his soeech and has been seeing a St for the past year with minimal improvement. She has referred him further to a diagnostic as she feels there should of been further improvement.
She has said she suspects dyslexia though as he is already showing traits. Now I know she is just a St but she has also told me she is also a sen teacher specifically for dyslexic children and the reason why she got this training was because her son us dyslexic so I feel confident that she can identify some of the signs. Tbh this doesn't surprise us either as he is his fathers son and both oh, his dad and his grandad have/had it. Now I know its to early but I like to know more about what we can so to ensure if he does need it he gets the help he deserves. He doesn't start school till next year, we are in a catchment area for a great school which the Ofsted report has stated it is an oustabding school and is very good at helping children who need additional support so I plan to ensure I talk about our concerns to his teacher so that any signs are picked up.
If anyone has any advice i would appreciate it.

Thanks x

My daughter has it but it wasn't picked up on until she was well into kindergarten. She wasn't referred for services until she was in first grade, and not officially diagnosed until she was in 2nd grade - the reason being they said it wasn't possible to diagnose until she was older.

How is he struggling with speech? I haven't heard many children with dyslexia having it manifest in that way. I think at the age of 3 it would be especially tough to distinguish between it being dyslexia and just run of the mill typical speech development/delay's. I would assume there wouldn't be enough there to differentiate between the two until later on but I suppose anything is possible.

Did she tell you what about her assessments points to dyslexia specifically?

When I spoke to DS school about dyslexia they said they won't test until 7-8 as many children get muddled up on words/letters at that age. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he was as I also am. So he's not getting tested until year 3. I'll be interested on how it all works out for you though.

Thanks to you both. I knowthey don't even consider it till later, I'm just one of those thatblikes to get on the front foot of things :)
I don't think his speech is related to it I think its a separate thing.
His St didn't say this in an assessment sort of way, more like in conversation when we were discussing his progress as I was unsure weather we should look into further testing. I had also said in previous conversation about his development that he thinks like his father and is very hands on rather then book smart iykwim.
Thats when she said she recognises his thought processes as a dyslexic trait so it could very well be a possibility. Like how he sees things is how in his mind they should be done (I'm really not explaining it well lol!!) What she said my oh went yeah like me.
I guess I am just keeping an open mind and I want to make sure that of he does need any support he gets it and not just labeled as a "naughty child" which tbh is my fear with him in general x

There's nothing wrong with keeping an eye on things but really, I do think it's way too early to even begin to sort out whether he's just 3, right brained and being a boy or is genuinely dyslexic.

I don't think from what you're describing that anyone would label him any kind of naughty. Dyslexic children may end up off "labeled" as delayed, but it's largely just a processing issue and not at all a behavioral one. I had my daughter enrolled in a special Susan Barton dyslexia tutoring school for a time when she was really struggling to learn to read and to the contrary, every child there seemed to overcompensate by being INCREDIBLY well behaved and polite. The social skills were FANTASTIC and I wished they had regular school there. I'd have switched her in a heartbeat because all the kids were so pleasant as opposed to her regular classroom lol

So yeah, just my experience, but dyslexic children do seem to have people smarts over book smarts and I celebrate that difference in my daughter. Her tutors did say that's pretty typical. Letter grades stink, but teachers typically love dyslexic children for their wonderful attitudes so even if he does end up having it eventually, don't think that's any sort of reason he would end up being a stinker as he grows.

As he is just 3 now, being "naughty" on occasion is absolutely to be expected so no worries there mama :flower:

Hi there...I am a special education teacher who works exclusively with learning disabled students. Dyslexia is one condition that falls under the "learning disabilities" umbrella.

I'm in Canada, but I imagine that the UK is very similar in that a child as young as yours can't be diagnosed. Much of the testing requires basic knowledge of letters, numbers and shapes. The child also needs to be comfortable being alone with the educational psychologist and able to work for a sustained period of time.

I don't think he would be labelled as naughty, but current research shows us that around 50% of people with learning disabilities also have some form of ADHD (not necessarily the hyperactive type).

So much can change in a short period of time, but as he starts school you might just want to mention your questions to his teachers and let him/her know that you are open to further discussion if they note the same concerns.

Thanks to you both. I think the whole "naughty" thing has come from previous experience, when I was a child one little boy acted out loads. He had dyslexia which was never identified as a child. Thus is also the same with my oh.
I know I'm getting ahead of myself I guess I just have that fixated in my head coz your right, my lo is a lovely little boy I'd be devastated if history repeated itself as such.
Thanks very much for your experiences and thoughts :flower:

I worked as a teacher and they won't test a child as young as your lo. I think generally its 7 at youngest. Just to say I am dyslexic but I was never the naughty child. My parents supported me by helping with reading and writing. I was musical and artistic. I got good GCSE's and a levels, have a good degree, have 2 post graduate qualifications one in teacher and one early years so don't think there has to be a stereotype. If your aware you can support lo and do best to help. Dyslexia does not mean you score low academically. I went to uni with quite a few dyslexic people. My dyslexia got recognised at uni as I went to small schools who didn't really look into things like dyslexia. I was told I was stupid at primary but with parents giving me help by time I got to middle school I had above average reading age and reading lots, my spelling was bad but always readable and I was given a good work ethic. Just support him would bey advice

I too am dyslexic and have never heard of it interfering with speech development. However what I am aware of is, there are links between autism, dyslexia and ADD. So their could be something else going on.

I too am concerned about DS being dyslexic, more in a I want to make sure he gets the right help if necessary, sort of way. My Dad is was never disagnosed but all signs are there. My Mum however is very talented when it comes to spelling and reading etc. She first suspected dyslexia when I was about 8 and had written my own name in 3 different ways on the same bit of work. She desperately tried to help me but with no support from the school.
I came through school as Miss Average, I failed my highers but went to college and then to uni and got my degree and eventually decided I needed to know and got myself tested.

TBH I think the kids who misbehave in school are the ones who really struggle, and just don't get it so they slip through the net and end up bored and play the fool.

Things you can do now are to introduce some magnetic or wooden letters. As a visual tactile learner when I think of the alphabet the image that comes to mind is the one that came with a Fisher Price toy school. But I wouldn't push it too much at this stage its more important that you get his speech sorted.

Once he is in school it is a case of watch out for the signs of it. My cousin was talking recently about her son who could tell her all the letters in a word but not what the word said - it just struck her as something just wasn't right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->