early miscarriage info wanted.

Essjay85

Reaction score
Hi guys. I tried posting this in the miscarriage section but no replies. Just need some info as i know nothing about this at all xx

I was 5 weeks yesterday and started bleeding. Went to A&e and they did bloods and the doctor said I wasn't pregnant...and he said I couldn't explain it when I said I had 4 positive tests 4 days before... and sent me home. .. I was so confused. But earlier that day I tried to phone the the EPU to ask about the bleeding but only got the voicemail so I left a message. Thankfully they called me just as I got home from a & e and I asked her to get my files up. And she said by the looks of my blood work I was pregnant and had an early miscarriage.

So annoyed with the first doctor who just dismissed me pretty much.

My question is can people give me some info as to what an early miscarriage is exactly (is it the same as chemical pregnancy?) And what will my body do now? Will I have a normal period or will it be really heavy? I'm only bleeding quite lightly at the minute.

Do I need to look out for anything or rest or can I carry on as normal?
I really know nothing about this kind of thing. Just know that I'm feeling very down at the moment. Thank you all for reading.

Sorry for your loss. I had a m/c at 7 weeks in early May. Chemical pregnancy is a m/c at 5 weeks or earlier. An early m/c is a loss anywhere up to 12 weeks. From what I understand the difference you will notice is that with a chemical pregnancy the loss is predominantly blood, and less likely to be any noticeable tissue. Some women don't realise they were even pregnant and think they've just gotten their period. With an early miscarriage you are likely see tissue and possibly even the sac pass with the blood. I passed blood (clots as well) and some tissue. In my case I had heavy bleeding & strong cramps for 2 days, both worse than what I get with my period. After that I had spotting for a few days. My HCG was back below 5 a week after the bleeding and cramps started. I personally took a few days to rest, for my body and my mind. I had some residual pain in my stomach afterwards (felt like bruising), which was made worse when I went for an U/S and the radiographer was rough during the internal scan. My GP told me to count day 1 of the m/c bleeding as day 1 of my cycle and to expect my cycle to return to normal straight away. She was right as I ovulated on day 10 (22 day cycle) and my next period was on time. I know how you feel, I found it a bit overwhelming. Do what feels best for you in terms of recovery, I've read some women don't know they've m/c and so continue on as normal, some feel like they've had a period and others have stronger symptoms like me. Hope this helps and fingers X for you!

Oh thank you that's helpful to read. Just never got any info and worried if im gonna be ill or anything. Sounds like it all should be simple and be very period like. Gonna maybe have a little trip to the shops today just to take my mind off it. Don't feel like doing too much. Will it be ok to ttc after the bleeding stops?

I just went through the same thing at 5w5d pregnant. There is not a lot of really good info out there is there? I don't have much to add, but wanted to say I'm sorry you also went through this!

I just went through the same thing at 5w5d pregnant. There is not a lot of really good info out there is there? I don't have much to add, but wanted to say I'm sorry you also went through this!

No there is no info really. Just wanted to know what to expect, didn't know if I was gonna be in pain or anything but thankfully I seem ok just passing some clots. (Sorry tmi) but I have found a lovely lady at the EPU who is happy to answer any of my questions if I give them a call.

I always associated miscarriage with lots of pain and lots of blood. But that's obviously not the case with a chemical. Just so strange that you can be pregnant one minute and the next day not be... With very little happening just a bleed. But oh well. She advised me I can ttc again as soon as I feel ready so that's a good thing. No need to wait. Xx

Yes it's really been like a period for me too. Maybe a little more pain and blood but not bad. I think we are lucky to lose it early on. I really feel for the women who don't find out until their 12 weeks scan that there baby has been dead for weeks :(

Good luck trying again. Hope we both get "sticky beans" next time :) :hug:

Yes exactly I feel the same. The midwife told me today your more fertile after so maybe a good time to start trying if your ready. I'm not sure if I am yet but it's good to know. Thank you for your kind words hun, hope we get our sticky bfp very soon also! Xxx

So sorry for your loss!!

I had to comment, we have almost exact names, when i saw the post i did a double take as i thought something had posted under my name! haha.

I know how strange is that! Are your initials sj? That's where mine comes from ��xxx

I've not got any helpful advice but I didn't want to read and run.
I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope you feel better soon and that you catch with your next cycle if you're ready :)

I'm so sorry, Essjay. Maybe I responded to another post of yours - I've definitely seen your name - sorry if this is redundant. But I know unhelpful doctors and no idea what to expect makes it all the more difficult.

It can also be like a more intense period for some people (including me, although I ended up needing a d&c anyway to complete it). You can have worse cramping and clots, but it wasn't frightening for me aside from the discomfort. Don't have sex until you're done bleeding. You don't want to get an infection. Likewise, don't use tampons. You want all that tissue out of there. They usually say if you bleed very, very heavily (I forget, it's something like over 2 pads in one hour? Google it.) or have severe pain, then call a doctor. That's not to scare you, but they will expect you to call at that point so they can take care of you.

I started out bleeding lightly and then it got heavier after a couple weeks. Some doctors tell people to wait a full cycle or two before ttc because they're afraid the uterine lining is too thin. But research doesn't really support that. For the most part, people ttc when they feel ready again. Your next period might be heavier or lighter than usual, which is expected. Mine came 4 weeks after the bleeding stopped, but I think the average is 6 weeks. That's all I can think of for very basic guidelines. It varies so much.

Take care. I'm sorry to hear this happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->