Early scan fury!

choccy cookie

Reaction score
Hi would like you comments or thoughts on my situation......

I miscarried last year at 12 weeks gone but the baby had only grown up to 8 weeks (6mm).

I am pregnant again (4.5 weeks gone) and have spoken to my midwife and she said the that the hospital that i will be registered with (if i chose to do so) does not give early scans unless you have had 3 miscarriages!!

Do you think that if i speak to my midwife and ask her to register me with another hospital that does give early scans would this be asking too much.

Its just i have read some posts on here and a lot of the mummies to be have been saying they are having 5.5 week scans etc how come?

Am i within my rights to ask for an earlier scan?

Please help i am so angry it seems they dont give a crap about you unless you have suffered through 3 miscarriages at my hospital and that is just not good enough.

Sorry for going on just had to vent my anger somewhere :growlmad:

Hi hun, so sorry about your miscarriage last year.

In the UK they dont do early scans or consultations in most hospitals unless you've had 3 miscarriages, or other complications.

Lots of american mums get early scans to date the pregnancy, and private scans. You can get an early private scan, but at this stage they wouldnt even see a heart beat yet hun.

Hi hun, so sorry about your miscarriage last year.

In the UK they dont do early scans or consultations in most hospitals unless you've had 3 miscarriages, or other complications.

Lots of american mums get early scans to date the pregnancy, and private scans. You can get an early private scan, but at this stage they wouldnt even see a heart beat yet hun.

Hi thanks its so annoying though isnt it.

They dont realize how important this is to people. I know its really common to mc in the first 3 months but they should respect the fact that it takes a lot of time and hard bloody work just to get to this stage.

I dont understand why in America they have early scans but here we dont. Do the Americans mean more to their Medical Professionals than what we do to ours? it stinks! :cry:

Oh well I will probably end up paying through the nose for an early one then.

Thanks again for your input hun :thumbup:

xxx

The americans pay for it hun!

Ive had 4mcs, 1 being molar and I still wasnt offered an early scan. 12 weeks is a long wait, but at 12 weeks they can see so much more and it actually gives you more reassurance. Its so scary when they scan you 6-8 weeks and they cant see all they need to, and it leaves what if's and too many unknowns. Especially if your dates might be slightly off! You 1/3rd of the way to your scan already hun xxx

The americans pay for it hun!

Ive had 4mcs, 1 being molar and I still wasnt offered an early scan. 12 weeks is a long wait, but at 12 weeks they can see so much more and it actually gives you more reassurance. Its so scary when they scan you 6-8 weeks and they cant see all they need to, and it leaves what if's and too many unknowns. Especially if your dates might be slightly off! You 1/3rd of the way to your scan already hun xxx

Ahh bless you sorry to hear that and heres me moaning and only had one!

I think i probs will pay for one. I dont want one now i know there will be nothing to see yet but if i can get one at 8 weeks and pay i think ill do that.

Even to see the heartbeat will be something im just so desperate to know everything is ok its horrible isnt it? xx

wow hun, only 1 is the same as 4 hun... without sounding like a right cow, the more I had the easier it got to deal with, my 1st was intensely painful to deal with!

babybond do early dating scans, im sure there are other companies too. They not cheap, and they wont tell you if the pregnancy is viable, but from 8 weeks you should get to see the heartbeat and it may help you emotionally get to 12 weeks for your nhs scan xxx

Your so brave to keep going id be a nervous wreck i think!

Your bun is cooking nicely in your tum though i see :happydance:

thanks for the info ill think about it now after reading what you have put.

Im glad i put something on here now i suppose it does make sense to make you wait otherwise you may worry for nothing.

its just (without going into to much detail) i have been getting a light brown discharge today and i had that with my last so im just so worried. although ive heard that it is normal to have that but ive spoken to my sister in law / sister and friends and they didnt have it?

I should probs just not worry so much and if its not meant to be its not meant to be but fx everything will be fine and im just being stupid.

xxx

These kinda of concerns should be discussed with your MW hun, its possible they'll do an nhs scan after 6 weeks if you're experiencing similar types of discharge as your mc. But you is right, it is normal and lots of ladies experience it. Im sure your baby is hanging in just fine and is as keen to see you on the scan as you are them :)

and yes my little fidget is cooking nicely, thank you :)

These kinda of concerns should be discussed with your MW hun, its possible they'll do an nhs scan after 6 weeks if you're experiencing similar types of discharge as your mc. But you is right, it is normal and lots of ladies experience it. Im sure your baby is hanging in just fine and is as keen to see you on the scan as you are them :)

and yes my little fidget is cooking nicely, thank you :)

thanks love your comments have helped calm me down :) i am going to see my midwife this week so will tell her about it then if it is still there.

xx

I've never had a M/C but I had brown / pink discharge at 5 weeks followed by red bleeding and I was given an early scan.

They couldn't see much so had to wait for 2 weeks (torture) and was scanned again where I got to see my babies heart beating (relief).

My friend had 3 m/c's before they would scan early. I think it depends on the person you are seeing as to whether they refer you. There are early pregnancy units in some hospitals that will do early scans it is just up to the person who has to power to refer you whether they do or not. (Oh and I live in the UK by the way).

It is really not fair I know but if you are having spotting then you may have more chance of getting a scan (I think that was the difference between me and my friend).

Oh and just to try and make you feel better, I had brown discharge, and bright red bleeding (no cramps though) and I am now 20 weeks pregnant with my healthy baby girl so not all bleeding is a bad sign.

I've never had a M/C but I had brown / pink discharge at 5 weeks followed by red bleeding and I was given an early scan.

They couldn't see much so had to wait for 2 weeks (torture) and was scanned again where I got to see my babies heart beating (relief).

My friend had 3 m/c's before they would scan early. I think it depends on the person you are seeing as to whether they refer you. There are early pregnancy units in some hospitals that will do early scans it is just up to the person who has to power to refer you whether they do or not. (Oh and I live in the UK by the way).

It is really not fair I know but if you are having spotting then you may have more chance of getting a scan (I think that was the difference between me and my friend).

Oh and just to try and make you feel better, I had brown discharge, and bright red bleeding (no cramps though) and I am now 20 weeks pregnant with my healthy baby girl so not all bleeding is a bad sign.

Hi Hun,

thankyou for that although my nightmare has been confirmed as a nightmare coming true.

started bleeding yesterday with cramps and they still wouldnt give me an early scan. they said i am too early to see anything so i cannot have one until 7th feb by which time i think it may have passed through :(

oh well mc number 2 here i come!

thanks again hun for your advice. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"