Early scan question??

Pixie9833

Pregnant-first trimester
Reaction score
Good afternoon ladies

Me and my other half went for an early scan this morning. after working out my last period i thought i would be around 7 weeks.
when we went to the scan this morning I'm 6 weeks and 1 day, putting me back 6 days. we saw the heartbeat and everything is where it should be.
I asked the sonographer if the baby could 'catch up' if I thought my own dates were correct. He told me there is no such thing as catch up, the measurements are what they are. He then said he couldn't give me a due date as the measurements weren't very accurate. I'm really confused??

Hi, pixie. I too had an early scan and it's true: before 8-9 weeks or so, baby is so tiny that it's very hard to measure. 1 or 2 millimeters (sonographer's error) can make a difference of up to 8 days or so. That's why they don't like to do the dating scan until a little later when the baby is easier to measure. He'll more accurately be able to give you a due date then.

Thankyou. i found out on the 2nd April, so going from the measurements today,would mean i was 3 weeks pregnant when i found out, which wouldn't be right would it??? xx

The sonographer is full of it! They can catch up and I see it all the time on this board! In the office I go to, the OBs do the scans themselves and my own ob told me that dates can change and babies can catch up, sounds like the sonographer that did yours had a bit of an ego :)

Not sure why they told you that?? All my babies measured begind at the start but the ones I carried longer had all caught up by 12 weeks. This baby at my 6+1 scan measured 5+2 but by 12 weeks had caught up and was measuring ahead. It's true they won't give you a due date from scans under 10-12 weeks though. They just go from your lmp.

do you know what, he was a bit full of himself. When we got the report from the scan, it had his name on and underneath it said something like head sonographer or something. but he said theres no such thing as catch up, but kinda contradicted himself by saying the measurements at this stage weren't very accurate.
I asked him for a picture and he said we couldn't have one as it was a medical routine scan rather than a obs scan xxx

Can be out by 7 days +/- at this point so small. Doing it through tummy could bring out different size, not having full enough bladder could bring out different size.

I went in at 7+1 said baby was 6+5. At 12w scan bang on dates. Fact you seen hb is great!

we saw the yolk sac and fetal pole and then got a good glimpse of the heartbeat =) xx

Is it common that they won't give you the picture? That seems mean. We've waited our whole adult lives to get this picture and now they make us wait longer once there is a picture to have!

Sorry the sonographer sounds like a bit of a jerk. But I did want to say that I'm just 6+1 weeks pregnant and I found out really early (on April 1st) so it is possible. Either way seeing the HB was a great sign!

congratulations :)

I had a scan at 6+6 and measured 6+1 then I had one at 10w and measured 9+3 but they said not to worry as all fine, I know my dates are accurate as had ivf so I wouldn't worry, bit mean they wouldn't give you a photo either!

I had one today got no picture or due date from them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->