Early weaning and Reflux?

polo_princess

♥ Brookes Mummy ♥
Reaction score
I've heard several people on here mention they have started weaning early because of reflux

Can anyone enlighten me? Why? What are the benefits?

Obv im not thinking about right now but maybe once Brooke hits the 4 month mark.

I started at 3 months... I give her rice cereal in the evening about 5:30-6:00. I found this helps her sleep because it is something solid in her tummy... rather then lots of liquid. So she is more comfortable at night... I find it helps her puke less during the day. I sometimes give a bit in the morning too.

Sometimes giving a bit of rice cereal can help babies with reflux to keep their milk feed down. But it may not be necessary as reflux naturally improves between 4-6 months anyway as babies spend more time sitting in upright positions.

It didn't work for us, in fact giving Aaron solids at 5 months made his reflux come back so badly that he was seriously ill and we weren't able to start weaning properly until about 9 months. That's rare though, I know a lot of parents have found weaning helpful for reflux.

Ahhhh the solids in the tummy thing makes sense now, god i can be so blonde at times lol.

Brookes reflux is pretty under control now she's on gaviscon and we perhaps only have 1 bad bottle a day now, so im trying to weigh up the options in advance as much as poss

i think i might have to wean leyley early aswell, shes in so much pain off her reflux, poor little bairn!

when is the earliest u can wean them? 3 months?

x

My doctor told me 3-4 months is safe. In Canada we used to go by the "wean at 6 months"... but we're now reverting back to around 4 months... There is no need to wait until 6 months.

Well over here 99.9% of the "first" foods, puree's, rice, porridge etc say 4 months plus but the books and HV's say 6 months .... wish between them they would make their bloody mind up :lol:

Well over here 99.9% of the "first" foods, puree's, rice, porridge etc say 4 months plus but the books and HV's say 6 months .... wish between them they would make their bloody mind up :lol:

Yeah I think the NHS are looking at going back to 4 month mark. Though they do say all babies are different. xx

I had really bad reflux as a baby and my mum gave me baby rice at 6 weeks..i think thats slightly extreme but i think it depends on your baby.

It just doesnt make sense the manufacturers wouldnt be allowed to put 4 months + on the labels if it was as huge of a no no as the HV's make out.

It just doesnt make sense the manufacturers wouldnt be allowed to put 4 months + on the labels if it was as huge of a no no as the HV's make out.

Phoebes consultant told me you can wean them from 4 month they 'just' recommend 6 month now, but it does get you thinking what i did cos they wanted me to wean phoebe early was stuck to products from 4 months and wean her on our food at 6 months just cos i was confused too.

hi, we were advised to begin weaning elliot at just over 4 1/2 months because of his reflux, but to be honest it didn't help him to keep the milk down....his solids would stay down but the milk would somehow still come back up!!

hes on gaviscon too, but things are naturally improving now (saw a paediatrician today).

keely.

Sometimes giving a bit of rice cereal can help babies with reflux to keep their milk feed down. But it may not be necessary as reflux naturally improves between 4-6 months anyway as babies spend more time sitting in upright positions.

It didn't work for us, in fact giving Aaron solids at 5 months made his reflux come back so badly that he was seriously ill and we weren't able to start weaning properly until about 9 months. That's rare though, I know a lot of parents have found weaning helpful for reflux.

This is exactly what happened with Morgan. She's been on Gaviscon since she was 6 weeks old for Silent Reflux. We started weaning at about 23/24 weeks, but after about 3-4 weeks her reflux came back with vengence. We had to stop all solids, been off for almost 6 weeks now, and although things have settled a bit, she's still has the symptoms most days.

We're off to see a paediatrician tomorrow morning about it.

Ahhhh the solids in the tummy thing makes sense now, god i can be so blonde at times lol.

Brookes reflux is pretty under control now she's on gaviscon and we perhaps only have 1 bad bottle a day now, so im trying to weigh up the options in advance as much as poss

Sounds logocal, but my GP told me the other day that weaning may not be the answer. Instesd of milk coming up, you may just get carrots instead! I think it's a case of being individual to your baby. I'm not going towean until 6 months, and then see how it goes.

We say a paedatrition as jacob been on gaviscon, rentideen domperidie *sp* but NOTHING helped so they adviced weaning at 3 months but i held off till 4 months and have been doing it for past month now but it makes no difference what so every. He is still really sick all day long :(

So doc's do recommend it for reflux suffers XxX

We say a paedatrition as jacob been on gaviscon, rentideen domperidie *sp* but NOTHING helped so they adviced weaning at 3 months but i held off till 4 months and have been doing it for past month now but it makes no difference what so every. He is still really sick all day long :(

aren't things improving for jacob yet, ema? i ask because we've seen a big improvement over the past 2/3 weeks with elliots reflux, but hes just on gaviscon as we were kept waiting ages to see a paediatrician. but i agree that weaning hasn't done anything for elliot, his solids would stop down but the milk would still come up.

aren't things improving for jacob yet, ema? i ask because we've seen a big improvement over the past 2/3 weeks with elliots reflux, but hes just on gaviscon as we were kept waiting ages to see a paediatrician. but i agree that weaning hasn't done anything for elliot, his solids would stop down but the milk would still come up.

No we found out his is developed more and its the valve at top of stomach that aint closing so need a mini op to put 2 stitches at the top to keep it closed, but need to wait until he 21lbs apparently and he only 16lb so right now he on a few drugs to help with the pain etc for him. Its still classed as reflux but at its worst form....Apparently. That why he now refusing food etc as he has learnt that too much milk will cause him pain so he will only take 3oz every 3 hours or so :( so thats another reason for weaning as for the calories etc so he doesn loose weight. If he doesnt get to 21lb by may they will take him in and do the op but they really dont want to until he is a lil bigger. He has a paediatrician appointment every 2 weeks to check progress and in between that i need to go HV. It will be worth it in the end as he will no longer be in pain but you just wish they would do something NOW but you know what there like they dont like to do things until the absolutely have too! XxX

I say Apparently as i never understand bloody doc's :rofl: as one says one thing and then the HV will say "oh no its this!"

XxX

aww the poor thing, must be horrible for you too. ive been stressed out with elliot's reflux, but it obviously isn't as bad as jacob's... the washing and changing of clothes/bibs etc can be a nightmare, i became so nervous about taking him out in case he sicked so much i needed several changes of clothes for us. ended up taking him to A+E as we were so worried by how much he'd sicked up the one weekend. but hes managed to keep putting on weight so they never seemed bothered, so we ended up doing a diary to show them. thats when they finally referred us, but now it is improving naturally.

hope he gets better soon, xx

Tiggy used to have really bad reflux, and I was advised to start weaning her at 4 months, so I did - and she was sick, all day, ever day, the solids, the milk, everything came back up. So I stopped solids and decided I was waiting until her reflux had settled a bit before weaning, and by about 5 and a half months it had calmed down a lot. She hasn't had a bad day for 5 weeks now :) and we started weaning 3 weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->