Early weaning

[/QUOTE]

Probably is different in the US, and possibly in other parts of Canada. I actually wish I had a little more intervention. I pretty much just ask everything on here though. :) I have no contact with anyone in Alberta Health from 6 months to 1 year, which is a pretty big stretch as that's when weaning occurs!

[/QUOTE]

I second that, however my HV is pretty well Wendy....she's my Mommy Mentor!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Good job we can ask really isnt it. I think I've only seen my HV twice outside of the drop in weighing clinic but that's how I like it :) I did get offered a weaning talk but I turned it down as I wanted to do BLW and the talk is only on traditional weaning. :)

I def agree about the US and c-section rates.....it's WAY too high and we have way too much intervention during birth

But for weaning it all depends on the dr you get, which I think it's like that everywhere. Our pediatrician who was very educated on breastfeeding, fully up to date on all recommendations pushed for 6mo to everyone. Where a friend of mine her pediatrician said it was fine at 3mo. Some aren't as up to date, they think the "old way" is fine.

Just want to throw in to this that here (at the hospital I delivered at) the Cesarean rate is something ridiculous, like 1 in 3, but I honestly don't understand it, because I thought I was going to die in labour and pushed for 2.5 hours, I gave myself awful hemmerhoids I'm still dealing with now :dohh:, had back labour, was catatonic & my heart rate was in the 120s... ALL FOR NEXT TO NO PROGRESS! For the OBGYN to walk in (after getting countless doctors' & nurses' hands up my hoo-hah) put her hand in and say there's no way this baby is coming out, we have to do a c-section :dohh:

Rant over, lol. I can see why (based on stats like 1 in 3 at that hospital) it looks like there is a lot more intervention (guess there must be) but I didn't see it for myself.

I only pushed for 20 mins before they decided I was going to theatre. Im not convinced it was completely neccessary but I was so tired by that point I didnt care she came out.

Anything before 4 months is very early (not reccommend) 4 - 6 month is not advised 6+ is about right. But all babies are different so wean when you feel ready hun!!

I had a c-section but only because my blood pressure went up to #/117 and I couldn't go through labour. Damn pre-eclampsia. I BEGGED my doctor for a c-section a few weeks before but he wouldn't even talk about it, he just said "lets see when it comes to it" because I knew she was super big. It wasn't until I was seriously sick & both of our lives were in danger that I got my c-section.

I got advice to wean at 4 months but only because I made an appointment with the doctor because she was taking in way way way too much formula.

I had a c-section by choice. Because of a lot of the experiences I read on here.

And I started giving Grady rice cereal 3 nights ago because his sleeping had changed, and it seemed like his formula just wasn't doing it for him! And he's doing great! Loves his cereal, is sleeping better, and seems like a happier baby! (for now!)

I only pushed for 20 mins before they decided I was going to theatre. Im not convinced it was completely neccessary but I was so tired by that point I didnt care she came out.

In delivery my mw said they'll let me push for 2 hours .. then intervene (forceps etc,) and after that go for a c section ... could of been bloody hours :hissy:

You got 20 mins :shock:

Back to the OP i consider early weaning prior to the 4 month mark, ive personally never been sold by the 6 month rule, im of the opinion that since they cannot make their minds up between 4 or 6 months, that anytime between those two ages is fine.

I think if they'd try to c-section me I would have bitten the MW :rofl: It's one of my fears (surgery that is)

I pushed for 2 1/2 hours then had foceps delivery, know one ever mentioned c-sec, or at least i don't think they did, its all a bit of a blur!:rofl:

I pushed for 2 1/2 hours then had foceps delivery, know one ever mentioned c-sec, or at least i don't think they did, its all a bit of a blur!:rofl:

I dont think I was ever explained why I was allowed to push for longer. They actually made me stop pushing whilst waiting for theatre.

I only pushed twice and they told me we were going to theatre for a c-section because (sorry this is prob tmi) the consultant thought I looked too small down below to deliver Alex - he was only 6lb 6oz!

We have been told to start weaning Phoebe at 4 months. She is always hungry and eating her hands, and has become really grouchy waking up all the time in the night.

We have been told to start weaning Phoebe at 4 months. She is always hungry and eating her hands, and has become really grouchy waking up all the time in the night.

Just so you have another viewpoint (not saying what you've been told is wrong for your baby) eating hands at 3/4 months is totally normal. It doesn't mean they are hungry, instead it is the beginning of them learning and exploring with their mouth and hands. They are learning hand-eye coordination for when they start to pick up objects and try to eat them. She'll soon move on to grabbing things properly and wanting to see what you're holding and eating.

3 months is also the time of a big growth spurt, so they will require a lot more milk and will wake at night. Following straight after that is the four month growth spurt, which is actually the biggest one of all, and the hardest to get through. For Niamh the four month one lasted much longer than any others and she was awake more frequently at night.

I think Meadow is having a growth spurt now. She was sleeping through but she has started waking up at 5am and draining a 8oz bottle.

She has chewed on her hands since she was about 2.5 months old. She gets her whole fist in there!

I think Meadow is having a growth spurt now. She was sleeping through but she has started waking up at 5am and draining a 8oz bottle.

She has chewed on her hands since she was about 2.5 months old. She gets her whole fist in there!

I feel for you. Niamh had her 4 month one at 4 months 1 week and it was awful. I did think about early weaning her as I was at my wits end and worried about her. Took her just over a week to get over it though.

I feel for you. Niamh had her 4 month one at 4 months 1 week and it was awful. I did think about early weaning her as I was at my wits end and worried about her. Took her just over a week to get over it though.

OH does the 5am feed so Im not suffering too much :D

The c/s rate in the USA is 30%, the c/s rate in the UK is 25% (though there are obviously regional variations). The WHO suggests that 15% is about the necessary mark, anything more is unnecessary. In areas of the world where MWs are truly in charge the rates are as low as 4% (I think there's a place in Mexico where the MWs are in charge of HR and they hire the doctors!) Most c/s in the UK are for FTP (failure to progress), which is classed as unnecessary by the WHO. However, and I speak from personal experience, FTP covers all sorts of more specific problems requiring assistance and some genuine reasons for intervention are actually missed completely but fall into the FTP category so intervention occurs anyway. Size of baby, particularly "too big" is often a misdiagnosis, malpositioning being the real reason, so c/s for baby size is often unnecessary too.

Sorry for the essay, this is one of my areas of special interest, I won't say expertise, but I do know what I'm talking about lol!

Anyway, on topic... I would say that earlier than 6 months is early. But as has already been said, the WHO's recommendation is an ideal and some babies will be ready earlier or have other medical reasons for early weaning. It's not that "they" can't make up their minds. The most up to date research does indicate 6 months as the most appropriate minimum age, but many doctors and HVs have not had their training updated.

The c/s rate in the USA is 30%, the c/s rate in the UK is 25% (though there are obviously regional variations). The WHO suggests that 15% is about the necessary mark, anything more is unnecessary. In areas of the world where MWs are truly in charge the rates are as low as 4% (I think there's a place in Mexico where the MWs are in charge of HR and they hire the doctors!) Most c/s in the UK are for FTP (failure to progress), which is classed as unnecessary by the WHO. However, and I speak from personal experience, FTP covers all sorts of more specific problems requiring assistance and some genuine reasons for intervention are actually missed completely but fall into the FTP category so intervention occurs anyway. Size of baby, particularly "too big" is often a misdiagnosis, malpositioning being the real reason, so c/s for baby size is often unnecessary too.

Sorry for the essay, this is one of my areas of special interest, I won't say expertise, but I do know what I'm talking about lol!

It's interesting. My feelings about it all have changed a lot since my birth experience. I wonder if I wouldn't have preferred a CS in the end. I was 34 hours in labour, failed epidural meant I couldn't push but was really suffering from exhaustion and the pain, I ended with an episiotomy and ventouse delivery. Everyone in the hospital apparently was expecting me to have a section. I was glad I hadn't at the time except that now I'm still suffering from the trauma of the birth and I constantly meet women at groups who had sections and were up and about days after the birth with no long term problems, so was it better or worse that I didn't have the section in the end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->